cbrown747

I just had a medical procedure done and was told that I have to wait 6 months before I apply for a 3rd class medical and I have to take a stress ekg test along with all the reports.

I expect to pass ok, but what frightens me is maybe it is not good enough for private pilot. I want to go the lsa route and it says you can still fly even if your medical has expired as long as you prove medically your fit.

Does this mean everybody still has to do some sort of testing to pass? I thought it meant that if you had a drivers license you could fly.

I just had a medical procedure done and was told that I have to wait 6 months before I apply for a 3rd class medical and I have to take a stress ekg test along with all the reports.

I expect to pass ok, but what frightens me is maybe it is not good enough for private pilot. I want to go the lsa route and it says you can still fly even if your medical has expired as long as you prove medically your fit.

Does this mean everybody still has to do some sort of testing to pass? I thought it meant that if you had a drivers license you could fly.

A key word you left out here is "valid". You must have a valid driver's license. Although most people don't pay attention, many "procedures" will invalidate your driver's license for a period of time. Even though this fact is normally ignored, it could still be a "gotcha".

Charles,

Shoot me a PM. I have first hand experience dealing with this.

Don't panic. Many people out here flying with special issuance medicals.

Basically with LSA you self certify that you are fit to fly. The big misconception is that this is a free pass. Wrong! If you know you have a condition that would be disqualifying for a 3rd class medical, you are not legal to fly.

Some will argue that this is not true but tell that to the FAA, judge, authorities and the insurance company if something goes wrong....

I have heard his before, but cannot find any wording that seems to support your view. Can you give a reference for your opinion?
Charles,
The big misconception is that this is a free pass. Wrong! If you know you have a condition that would be disqualifying for a 3rd class medical, you are not legal to fly.

61.35(b) states that "a person shall not act as PIC or in any other capacity as a required flight crew member, while that person knows or has reason to know of any medical condition that would make the person unable to operate the aircraft in a safe manner."

It says nothing about being able to pass a class III medical.

Your point is well taken, about the medical, but 61.35(b) covers much more territory than simply can you pass a medical. The quickest example I can think of is my allergies. I am sneezing like crazy this AM. If I were to go take a benedryl then I know my allergy symptoms would go away but it would also make me very drowsy. I can still pass a III Class medical, but I know that I now have a medical condition that would make it unsafe for me to operate an aircraft.

If you can't pass a third class medical, you are medically deficient.

There is no loop hole. Get over it.

If you mean passing a 3rd class to be the office visit I would agree because that is just check is you are breathing, on drugs, or blind. Definately have a medical deficiency if any of those exist. The hard part of passing a 3rd class FAA medical is the disclosure of conditions and meds that do not show up in the office visit to your AME.
The LSA rule of a valid driver's license does not require anybody but yourself and your regular doctor to make the decision if you are fit to drive and fly. That is no different then what you are supposed to do anyway every time you get in the plane since possessing a FAA medical only says you pased the day of the exam and based on what you disclosed.

thanks for all the replies. My only concern is how the faa will interpret the reports my doctor sends. Even if my doctor says I am good to go, will the faa say the same thing?

I am in good overall health but recently found that I have cad but was recently treated. Now I have to wait the mandatory 6 months before I can submit for a renewal for the medical.

I wanted to play it safe and start building the rv-12 rather than take a chance on the rv-9a only to find that something unexpected happens to me. I really like the rv-12 and know this is my last hope to stay flying.

If the FAA rules positively on the Aopa/eaa proposed waiver. You will be able to fly anything with 180hp or less. I would wait and see how it goes with the FAA

thanks for all the replies. My only concern is how the faa will interpret the reports my doctor sends. Even if my doctor says I am good to go, will the faa say the same thing?
I think that is the advantage of the driver's license medical. You do not have to know what the FAA says.

FYI, I have cad and had stents 4 years ago and by-pass last year. I have recieved both times a special issuance after the 6 month mandatory plus about 3 months of waiting for OK City to approve. The waiting and not knowing if they will approve is the worse part. Getting the stress test and doctors reports is easy and something I would do every year anyway to monitor my condition. The current AOPA / EAA proposal will not change anything I do except the waiting every year for 3 months for some doctor in OK City to read my reports and rule on my condition without ever seeing me. I see the FAA doctor providing no additional level of safety over my own doctors, that know me and see me, making the determination of my health. The only thing the FAA does is force me to do the yearly paperwork.

Last edited:

I suggest you or anyone contact the AOPA medical services group for accurate information. Another source is EAA's web site "Sport Pilot.org" See http://www.sportpilot.org/learn/medical_requirements.html (Typed on iPhone so may not be correct URL)

Not trying to be arrogant, but some of the information posted here may be correct for particular situations but is not totally correct in the generic sense. Right now there are some differences between the existing Sport Pilot medical rules and the proposed AOPA/EAA medical exemption. My advice is don't make any big decisions on what you read in this thread. And remember the airplane doesn't need a medical, the pilot does. It's not an "LSA medical" but rather a "Sport Pilot medical" you're talking about if you're gonna fly an LSA.

I am presently flying on a Special Issuance Class III medical due to mitral valve replacement surgery in 2009, so I have a special interest in this topic. You also should seek an AME who has done a lot of Special Issuances. It's faiirly easy to find an AME but it's more challenging to find one who has a lot of experience with Special Issuances.

If you want to discuss this with me, send me a PM.

Last edited:
i don't think there is any doubt the initiative will go through. The budget savings to the FAA alone is reason enough for them to want it themselves. As for the self-verification that you can pass a 3rd class medical...that would be counter intuitive to the intent of the initiative. The intent is to self-verify that you (and your doctor in some cases) feel that that you are safe to drive a car (much more dangerous) and to fly recreationally...not IFR, not at night and not at Reno. Mel is right...the word "valid" is there for a reason.

Repeating...there are differences between the existing Sport Pilot medical rules and the proposed "AOPA/EAA request for changes to Class III medical certification."

The differences may be changed and become the same for both situations. This thread would be a good example of how confused pilots are over the two. The original poster specifically said, "I want to go the lsa route..."

Talking about mixing apples and oranges...:eek:

Last edited:
Legal and safe are two different things...

I see this pretty often in diving, its the same thing in flying.

Example a couple of years ago a big fat guy in the dive boat. Donned his wetsuit in the parking lot which we all thought odd. Filled out his waiver, all "no" answers.

Couple hours later, after pulling him off the bottom, we cut open that wet suit to find recent incisions, bright red worm up the chest, open heart surgery. He didn't make it.

Now, just imagine that guy in the left seat. Worse, imagine him in the left seat with friends/family on board.

Just because it's legal, does not mean its safe or that you should fly. Comments sounding like you're looking for a loophole concern me. Medical requirements are there for a reason. If you can't pass the medical, you aren't safe to fly. Stroking out or whatever when acting as PIC does none of us any good. The rest of us would prefer you stroke out cutting the grass than in a way that could impact our flying.

So, please think it through. :)

all medical disqualifications are not the same

I see this pretty often in diving, its the same thing in flying.

Example a couple of years ago a big fat guy in the dive boat. Donned his wetsuit in the parking lot which we all thought odd. Filled out his waiver, all "no" answers.

Couple hours later, after pulling him off the bottom, we cut open that wet suit to find recent incisions, bright red worm up the chest, open heart surgery. He didn't make it.

Now, just imagine that guy in the left seat. Worse, imagine him in the left seat with friends/family on board.

Just because it's legal, does not mean its safe or that you should fly. Comments sounding like you're looking for a loophole concern me. Medical requirements are there for a reason. If you can't pass the medical, you aren't safe to fly. Stroking out or whatever when acting as PIC does none of us any good. The rest of us would prefer you stroke out cutting the grass than in a way that could impact our flying.

Walkman,
How about you think it through. There are many idiotic restrictions included in the FAA class 3 medical rules that are instant disqualifications. How about that guy who's wife had to land the 414 last week because her husband died of a heart attack. From what I understand, he had a current medical. What about the pilot that flipped out on a flight last week. I have no knowledge of the pilot or why it happened, but he had a current medical for airline pilot.

Without linking anything to that instance, is it possible some pilots do not seek help for mental health issues because they know they will lose their job? Are you safer with a pilot who has gone to the doctor for a mental health issue and is on medication that allows him to function in a safe manner or who hides his condition and trys to tough it out?

What about the person who had ADD and takes a medication to help him focus. Why should he be denied the chance to be a pilot? What if the same medication he takes is given to military pilots to help them focus and reduce pilot error and accidents?

Of course nobody wants to have a medical issue cause an accident. I would imagine the person flying is just as concerned for their own safety and the safety of those flying with him. All pilots have the responsibility to make sure they are fit to fly. Passing a medical only says the person was fit on that day according to rules that may or may not be applicable to their ability to be a safe pilot.

Maybe their should be a medical requirement that all arrogant pilots who know it all be denied a medical. If you look at the numbers, there are many more accidents from the arrogant pilots buzzing someone or flying their plane into weather conditions they cant handle than accidents from medical issues.

And I agree - there are medical conditions that should disqualify a person from flying. In real life, not having a license does not keep a person from flying. When you say the medical requirements are there for a reason is correct. Saying if you can't pass the medical, you are not safe to fly is not correct. If it is, then many of the military pilots are not safe and should not be flying when they are given medication to help them be a safer pilot.

You have your opinion and I have mine. Im not trying to convince you or anyone else that mine is the right one. You posted your opinion, so I wanted to post mine. I wish you the best in your flying career and hope your health is always so you can always be a safe pilot - medical or not.

Also, some folks could get a Class III medical....but it would be a giant PITA to work through and maintain. For some folks, it's a pretty easy decision just on the annoyance factor... (I know one LSA pilot like this...and he even see's an doctor that is an AME to get a regular opinion, just not for a "real" medical.)

Apparently Walkman has a quarrel with the FAA, it is they who say I can fly on my drivers license, not us. I have a defibrillator and pacemaker installed, if that fellow with the medical that died and had his wife land the plane had one, he would still be kicking. I consider it my "aviation medical backup system", not unlike a lot of other parts on the aircraft.

No I am not looking for a loophole. This has been my dream forever. It is my passion and I am looking forward to building my rv and fly around the country. So yes, it scared me initially that somebody in the faa can interpret my ekg stress test differently than my cardiologist.
I was only looking to see what my best and safest bet is to fly for years to come. I am married and have 3 children that I would never do anything unsafe so you are on the wrong track as far as that is concerned.
I just wanted to get a better understanding of the sport pilot route. I am currently a private pilot with an expired 3rd class medical and looking to renew it in 6 months as required.

Maybe I can help

I'm an orthopaedic surgeon with an office in Countryside (close to you in Palm Harbor). We have an AME in our office in Countryside so I could talk to her if it would be of any help. If this is of interest to you, pm me and I will find out what I can.