Maybe someone will come up with a better way to deal with shavings.

But for a rectangular hole, I'd use a cutting wheel in a die-grinder. You can even drill smaller holes at the corners, and file a larger radius.

For round holes, I'd go to Home Depot and get a Malco sheetmetal router that fits in a drill. They are less than $50, and have a range of adjustments for hole sizes. It uses a special drill bit on an adjustable arm to drill the hole, such as 6" diameter. This will create a perfectly round hole. I used one of these on numerous parts of my aircraft.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

What is the best way to cut an access panel in a fuel tank?
My concern is metal shavings.

One way is to mount the tank in a cradle, then cut an access panel in the rear baffle using a fly cutter in your drill press.

What part of the tank do you need to access, and is the tank on the airplane?

Basic Shop Practices

What is the best way to cut an access panel in a fuel tank?
My concern is metal shavings.
Your gonna get shavings. That's not a problem. If the tank had fuel in it, I'd be far more concerned with explosive fumes ruining your day. To replace a rusted filler flange, I had to cut in an access hole in a Piper Cherokee fuel tank which is similar in construction to RV fuel tanks. The first thing I did was flush the tank out with water. I then refilled the tank with water again (to displace any remaining fumes) before cutting the opening into it. Using a fiber cut off disc to rough cut the opening, I then followed up with a common 1" rotary file fitted to the same die grinder to remove the remaining material up to the (previously etched) scribe line.

8wm8fm.jpg

thank you gentlemen

I am working on a fuel tank that has not been installed or has had fuel in it. I am going to cut a hole in the back on the tank (RV-10) with the tank on two saw horses thus the shavings would fall away from the tank.