From a distance:

Cowl cheeks + 1 seat = RV3
Cowl cheeks + 2 seats = RV4
No cheeks and 2 seats = RV8
Side/Side with small no c/w tail = RV6
Side/Side with mid size c/w tail could be 6 or 7.
Side/Side with large RV9 style rudder and 6/8 looking wings = RV7
Side/Side with long wings, square elevator, exposed flap hinges = RV9

Also, most all RV4's have tip over canopies without a separate windshield. Most RV8's have sliding canopies. All (except a few) RV4's have the main gear legs sweeping out from the cowl. RV8's have them under the fuse. They really are quite different airplanes when you park them side/side you'll see. The above is just to get an idea at a glance or in the air.

Some of the new RV6's can look a lot like first generation RV7's if the -7's have the smaller -8 rudder on them, or the -6 has the newer rudder on it (or like my plane is a -6 but has a new/large -7 tail on it), but there are still some giveaways:

Fwd bottom skin on a -7 is flat, Fwd bottom skin on a -6 matches the dihedral of the wing spars.
Multiple inspection panels on the bottom of the wing = RV7.
NACA duct cutouts being above the cowl split line = RV7 (almost always, the -6 drivers mostly cut their own, and usually put them on the cowl split line whereas van's pre-cuts the -7/9 skins).
Wide 604/Spar bulkhead rivet line on side of fuse = RV7 whereas the RV6 has a narrow vertical rivet line.
Rivet line where the armrest goes almost always has a jog down between the 604/605 bulkhead on the 6's and not usually on the 7's.
Round tube slider frame almost always on older 6's.
Instrument panels on the 6's and 7's are also quite different and easily discernable (-7/9 panels have cutouts for the elephant ears in the corners and the -6 does not. The canopy deck rails are also slightly different).

Anyway, there are a lot more things (the list could go on and on as the "experts" join in with all of the nuances many of us can pick out), but those are the "quick/dirty" way for a greenhorn to tell!

Cheers,
Stein

Last edited:
Thanks man, I went and looked for the things you pointed out, and now that I know what to look for, its obvious! :D Muchos Gracias!

6/7: 6 Wingtips are straight. 7 Wingtips are tapered with landing/nav light cutouts.

(This may not be definitive, I don't know what options or vintages apply).

How do you tell the RVs from the rest? The grin? The dog panting when asked to go flying? :)

To see if it is an RV I always looked at the distinctive "RV snout" on the bottom side of the lower coweling, but many builders are doing away with that and having the air intake on the sides of the coweling. Less drag, but less "cool" factor.......... I'd take the less drag too. ;)

Last edited:
It is very easy to tell a 4 from a 8 or a 6 from a 7. Next to the 4 or 6, you will always find the builder, whining about all the jigs he had to build and all the holes he had to drill himself.

(Joke shamelessly stolen from Dan years ago.)

The -6's squat.....

.....quite bit lower at the tail because of shorter main gear legs. My stab touches my belly button:), while the -7 hits my chest. Ditto the -9's.

No other RV looks like a -4 (Well, the -3 does but it's a lot smaller) and no other RV looks like an -8,

Regards,

You guys! I just pick up the tail and look under them.

Yes the DATAPLATE is a good way to tell but here in the "People's Republic of California", there are people that will call their RV a "insert last name SPECIAL" so as to confuse the TAXMAN and get a MUCH lower or NO property tax bill.

It is very easy to tell a 4 from a 8 or a 6 from a 7. Next to the 4 or 6, you will always find the builder, whining about all the jigs he had to build and all the holes he had to drill himself.

Now that is funny!

There is an OLD -3 on our field that was inherited by a local guy upon the death of the builder. Some of the instructions are hand written by Vans himself! The blue prints also have Van's hand written notes on them. I think it is serial number #3 or something.

Last edited: