N941WR

Legacy Member
There have been a number of posts about piercing the inner crankshaft seal but I could find no reference on how to remove that plug.

Before I assemble my engine, I would like to remove the plug rather than simply pierce it.

What is the best way to remove that inner plug?

NO DRILL PLEASE!

Drill a hole in it and use a slide hammer screwed into the hole to pull it out.

Please don't drill this plug. You will only get filings in the engine. I'm sure you meant; PUNCH the hole and screw in the slide hammer.

I agree with Mell, no drilling.

My questions is the use of the slide hammer. I had thought of that but I'm afraid that would damage the oil tube in the crank.

I have read that Lycomimg service bulletin and it does not mention how to remove the plug. There has to be a less "brute force" method to removing that plug. Any other suggestions?

Please don't drill this plug. You will only get filings in the engine. I'm sure you meant; PUNCH the hole and screw in the slide hammer.

Yep that's what I meant. Once the plug is out you can easily clean any chips out that may fall out. And if you grease the drill there will be minimal chips anyways. Hammering on it with a punch will make it harder to pull out.