Darren S

Well Known Member
My current Bendix King KMD 150 moving map doesn't play nice with the Zaon XRX. I can't get traffic display over top my existing moving map.

To those who use the glare shield mounted Zaon XRX, do you find the screen
too small to be useful ? How is it in sunlight ? Do you wish it were integrated into your moving map ? or is it good as it.

Thanks,

Darren

I have it connected via bluetooth to my yoke mounted AV8OR and love it. Also have a panel mounted BK 150 - as it is 10 years old I was not expecting too much out of it.

As regards sunshine etc, I find the LCD screen readable in sunshine but I fly a Piper and not a glass canopy so other folks experiences may be different.

Screen is fine

I like having the traffic screen up on the glare shield. That way I don't have to go head down to look at it. The LCD on the XRX works well. Very visible.

I guess after a short learning curve you get use to interpreting the information on the LCD screen and knowing where to look for traffic ?

Has the Zaon saved any of you from near misses ?

Darren

I love mine, though it is connected and gets displayed on the GRT screen. I don't know if it has saved me fron near misses but I have many times picked up traffic very close to me that I would not have seen otherwise. So, I use it as an advance warning type system.

I love mine

I bought the $75 dollar cable to connect it to my 696.

After a few flights, I went back to using just the LCD screen. I found that having the XRX display on my glareshield is better than having to go heads down to look at the Garmin.

I checked with Zaon to see if there was a workaround for having information displayed on both the LCD and the Garmin and was told the answer for the foreseeable future is NO.

And yes, I feel that the XRX has been instrumental in pointing out traffic that I might not otherwise have been looking for.

I love mine too

I agree with Tim,

Although my XRX interfaces well with my Garmin 496, I normally use the LCD screen on the unit for display. I don't like focusing inside the cockpit when there is nearby traffic. Watching the XRX on the glare shield works best for me. I have used my XRX for about 150 hours and think that it is very valuable for spotting traffic. I really depend on it when visibility is down and/or I am flying under an overcast. It has been a very good investment for me.

Dan Miller
RV-8 875 hours

Excellent info. guys. Thanks for the help. That's why I love VAF !! Are you guys just resting the XRX on the glare shield or velcro or something else ?

I have a bit of Velcro on the glare shield for it. Otherwise it wanders around.

Have to say that while it spots the traffic, it's not all that good about weeding out the ones that are no conflict. And there are those folks who don't use their transponders.... so keep an eye out.