danielhv

Well Known Member
I'm finishing up the wing kit, and I'm starting to attach the control surfaces to the wings, and hook up the bell cranks, etc. There are alot of washers used in various places, but Vans sends the washers all mixed up in a paper bag. So my question is: Is there any way to gain enough information from the part #'s on the plans to determine which washer is which?

Identifying various washers...

I look at the quantities and try sorting that way first. Then compare the washer inside hole diameters to their corresponding screw sizes...#4, #6, #8, #10 and so on. Washers fit somewhat loose. Mostly steel washers came in my kit. Stainless steel and aluminum are also common in our industry. Then you have thick or thin washers, thin denoted by "L" for light. Good luck.

The Basic Washers

I'm finishing up the wing kit, and I'm starting to attach the control surfaces to the wings, and hook up the bell cranks, etc. There are alot of washers used in various places, but Vans sends the washers all mixed up in a paper bag. So my question is: Is there any way to gain enough information from the part #'s on the plans to determine which washer is which?

Try this PDF for your basic normal washers http://www.gen-aircraft-hardware.com/images/pdf/nas1149.pdf

This will also help also for some of your custom applications on fairings and such

http://www.gen-aircraft-hardware.com/images/pdf/specialwash.pdf

Last edited:
Easiest thing to do with hardware (nuts, bolts, rivets etc) is to take all of it out of all the bags and organize it in plastic trays. That way when the plan calls out for say an AN3-10 bolt you just go to the tray and grab it instead of searching through all the bags. After building a Lancair and a Glasstar this is one area that Vans dropped the ball. There is no rhyme or reason to their inventory or part numbers. Made it really hard to locate stuff at times. As for washers, you will figure out what the sizes are. Also order a bunch of extra -3 and -4 thick and thin washers. They really come in handy and they are really cheap. Don

Identifying parts suggestion/ getting organized

For shops (with helpers especially), it is handy to make up a poster or wall board with 1 sample of common items glued on with a dab of clear silicone. That way helpers have a starting point when sent to fetch. You can order 1 each from Spruce and even use their bag labels on your poster.

Gun store used to have similar displays for ammo.

A cheap bolt gauge is handy also.

Keep used bolts and screws separated from final assembly items.

I always like to keep a cup handy for stuff found on the floor. Periodically sort and 'return to stock.'

Zip lock plastic bags are great. Felt tip pens will label them. For things like control nuts,bolts, washers, there are small clothe bags with tie strings. You can pull a control or engine part off, put all the fasteners from that location in the tobacco bag, and tie it onto the part.

Put the special Vans washers...

..to one side though.

They are unique to Vans and have part numbers like 5072-xx-yyy

I know of three. One is a 3/16 ID washer with a very small OD of about 1/4 inch.

Two are AN3 and AN4 washers, but in a size in between an AN960 and an AN970...

There may be more...

Last edited: