dave4754

Well Known Member
Hello all:

I am fitting the canopy of my RV 7 to the framework and want to keep the "ears" of the 745 .

Has anyone come up with a good way to hold the ears flat while applying the fibreglass resin?

Dave

Dave,

I'm not clear on the "ears" to which you refer. Any chance you have a photo?

You shouldn't have to put any pressure on them to make them lay flat. Bend them in place so there isn't any tension/pressure required. Otherwise I can see cracking in your future.

Scuffed and masked.
IMG_2563-M.jpg

Filled the remaining gap with some flox mixture.
IMG_2565-M.jpg

Ears covered.
IMG_2577-M.jpg

Dave,
I cut a 4 inch length of cable roughly the same diameter as the plexi's thickness. With the canopy resting in place on the frame, I sharpee-marked on the frame the bottom edge clearance of the canopy on each side of the ear. Then, with the canopy removed, I put the cable piece under the ear, lined up with the edge line markings. This piece of cable now becomes a sort of 'bend brake' for the metal ear.
I then just bent the ear inward, just a little, so that it conformed with the plexi surface. You'll want to drop the canopy back on a time or two to check and adjust the bend. It worked like a charm for me and my sika'd canopy.

thanks

great help guys i love the pics. will go with the cable and bend idea. Thanks again