johngoodman

Well Known Member
Any body got an idea on how to get an AN822-6D elbow fitting to snug up facing the right direction? Pipe thread to AN6. Thanks.
John

Use a good fuel lube/seal. These fittings need not be overely tight. There is relatively low pressure in them. Don't think of it like a household pipe fitting.

Swivel Pipe Thread Adapter

Or use a "Swivel Pipe Thread Adapter." Bonaco and a lot of places sell them. That way you can tighten the NPT part correctly and still position the tubing easily. Pg 24 in the Bonanco catalog shows them in straight and 90 degree versions.

Here's a picture of two similar units I used when installing an Andair valve in my -8. Getting just the right angle at the right spot on the tubing would have been almost impossible but was relatively easy with swivels. These units are 45 degree "Male to Female Swivel Adapters" but work the same as the "Swivel Pipe Thread Adapter."

Please disregard the wires tie-wrapped to the fuel lines. That was changed before everything was buttoned up.

580310010_5U2wi-M.jpg

Thanks for the replies. I'll start with the lube and work it in method first. The banjo fittings that were mentioned are pretty pricy.
John

Use a good fuel lube/seal. These fittings need not be overely tight. There is relatively low pressure in them. Don't think of it like a household pipe fitting.

Is 60 PSI low pressure? I believe it all depends on what side of the fuel pumps you are on.

Yes the low pressure side isn't prone to leakage. Still 60psi on the high pressure side is not that high when you consider a 3000psi hydraulic system on a jet doesn't spray fluid everywhere. We tightened "b" nuts by hand then 1 flat for security. Most leaks are usually caused by over tightening not the other way around. The swivels on the one posting are pretty sweet. You can also install a NPT to AN adapter which is straight and then attach the "B" nuts to that. The adapter can be tightened to your hearts desire and will never leak. I would use the swivels where they is the chance for movement, my guess is that they are 10 times the price of the NPT adapters?

Just to add one more possibility to all the other excellent suggestions, try a different fitting. They are all threaded a little differently so trying another one just might give you the desired clock position.

Fuel lube does not work well as a thread sealant. Titeseal or teflon-based paste works much better over time.

How many turns on the fitting...

How many turns does the fitting have to go into the fuel value? Do I have to get it to the point that it is almost bottomed out, minus of course some fraction of a turn to get the right angle?

Thanks,
Michael-

It should not 'bottom out'. It will get tight, instead. I've heard all kinds of rules-of-thumb; I like 1/4 to 1/2 turn past hand tight.