jdcoleman73

I'm New Here
When you file your flight plan most people know to file the type aircraft of a cessna c-150 as a c150 or a piper warrior as a pa28 but how do you file an experimental aircraft such as a Vans? Most file with the abbreviations of "EXP". The homebuilt market gaining strength there is a new way to differentiate the capabilities for you to file your flight plan. For homebuilders the correct way is to file HXA, HXB or HXC. What that means is, Homebuilt experimental "A" "B" "C". "A" is a homebuilt that has a cruising speed of less than 100 kts, "B" is a homebuilt aircraft that has a cruising speed of 100 to 200 knots and a "C" is anything over 200 kts. There is also a climb/descent speed that is based into that, but I am leaving it out for simplicity. What that means is, if you are going to file a flight plan or the air traffic controller ask you your type, for those of us that fly a vans aircraft the correct type would be HXB. The letter after the slant is the equipment suffix. If you have a transponder with mode c then you are a /U. This can be found in the AIM. This is a new category and maybe new to the air traffic controller you are talking to. It is updated in the computer system and will be recognized when you file your flight plan. When you get to the first person of the ATC system they may ask you to "verify your type" then when you say RV-?; they will say "Roger" and chances are they will have no idea what you are flying. I am am an Air Traffic Control Chief, I am a multi-engine commercial rated pilot, air traffic controller instructor and former flight instructor. Any questions you have I would be happy to answer.

Thanks! Great information!

I fly several RVs IFR. I called FSS and set up profiles for the different aircraft. Now when I call from my cell phone, FSS usually greets me by name and asks which plane I'm flying today. They acknowledge they have my profile and then I file and get a wx brief.

I file 99% of my IFR flight plans with FltPlan.com. I also occasionally use DUATS. My airplane is entered into the flight plan on both of those sites as RV-10/G
ATC always seems to know my type.

FSS ID

RVx (I use RV7) is an officially recognized type for flight plans in DUATS. They don't do the 'A', but that's OK with me :rolleyes:

RVx (I use RV7) is an officially recognized type for flight plans in DUATS. They don't do the 'A', but that's OK with me :rolleyes:

I put RV8/G in the compputer, and it likes it! Several years ago, someone posetd the fact that the FAA had recognized the RV's by type in the system - it only makes sense, as there are more of them than all the GA Grumman Singles ever produced.

RVx

I found the RVx designator a couple of weeks ago while using the AOPA flight planner. The FAA identifier field in the aircraft profile would only take a recognized identifier - it was nice to see RV7 listed as a type.

Funny, the RV10 is not on the approved list.

From Rosie: I just wrote to the FAA and asked if they could add the RV-10 and RV-12;

"Your Question has been Submitted. Thanks for submitting your question. Use this reference number for follow up: #120413-000008

A member of our support team will get back to you soon."

However, I did input RV-10 and RV-12 in the DUAT lookup table and both were accepted/outputted as RV10 and RV12...

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is the definition of /G from The FARs.

/G Global Navigation Satellite System (GNSS), including GPS or Wide Area Augmentation System (WAAS), with en route and terminal capability.

What is the correct equipment code for GPS without terminal capability, i.e. enroute only, plus mode C?

What about a VFR GPS and mode C?

1- What do RV-10 and RV-12 guys do with regard to airplane Type?

ATC usually asks me for my type, and when I say RV-12, they never say anything - but perhaps they're confused since I'm not in their system. I've heard them call me an RV-6 several times when calling me out as traffic to other airplanes, so likely they just poke in some sort of RV when I say -12.

2- What do folks with a Mode S transponder do? I have the Skyview with the Mode S - and under the ICAO Equipment Designators - it looks like I'm an "E" - Mode S - Aircraft ID - Pres Alt - Squitter.

Bob Bogash
RV-12
N737G

I file with both fltplan.com and Garmin pilot, both of which are using the same Duats account. RV6 is in the system as Rosie has shown, and I've never had an issue with ATC knowing what I am.

1- What do RV-10 and RV-12 guys do with regard to airplane Type?

ATC usually asks me for my type, and when I say RV-12, they never say anything - but perhaps they're confused since I'm not in their system. I've heard them call me an RV-6 several times when calling me out as traffic to other airplanes, so likely they just poke in some sort of RV when I say -12.

2- What do folks with a Mode S transponder do? I have the Skyview with the Mode S - and under the ICAO Equipment Designators - it looks like I'm an "E" - Mode S - Aircraft ID - Pres Alt - Squitter.

Bob Bogash
RV-12
N737G

I think the atc system takes anything we put in. Fss may be more discerning