Jrskygod

Well Known Member
Patron
I'm installing my skyview ems. I'm now working on the EGT / CHT probes. The armored leads for these probes are quite long and my concern is that if I trim the connecting wiring from the EMS to match plus a bit extra for future maintenance that if I ever wish to use perhaps some long life probes or something of that nature my EMS leads will then be too short. I wish to make the install fairly tidy and really don't want to just bunch up a lot of excess EMS lead when I really don't need to so:

Are most EGT / CHT probes as long as the supplied Dynon probes?
Is there a problem with having to add an extension to the EMS leads in the future if I need to and how is that done to insure proper temperature readings?
Any suggestions or pictures of your install would be helpful.

I know I can just wad the excess leads up and tie wrap them like I see on all the local Cessnas but I want to avoid doing so if I can.

Thanks

There's no reason you can't trim the wire leads. Just make sure you make good crimps on the new connector or you may loose the sensor reading due to vibration. Fixable but a big pain and it always happens just when you need it.

most folks just bundle up the lead and tie wrap them to the engine mount. One item that seems to be a popular idea that I have seen on many RV's is to put a dab of RTV red silicone on the crimp end where the wire comes out of the crimp. This prevents water grom getting in and stops corrosion and vibration of the wire that has been crimped

easy to do and could prevent problems down the road.
Jack