N24YW

Well Known Member
I was wondering who makes a tool to cut the paint around the screw heads. I have a leaking gas tank and will need to remove it to make a repair. Also has anyone had much success using loctite 290 to seal the leaks.

Jim Knight
Burlington Iowa

Avery sells them and Aircraft Tool Supply does also. They work ok. I had to use them on a 6 to remove the tanks and do the fuel pick-up safety wire per Van's service bulliten. I found the tool dulled quickly and when that happened it didn't perform as well. Would have to file it sharp to get it to work better again. Maybe they harden the edge now. If so it would hold up better.

I had reasonable successs sealing a weaping rivet with the LocTite method. Needed to empty the tanks and clean real good to get a good bond. Applied the locTite and then heated with a hairdryer to get it to wick into the rivet better. It did work and is still holding up.

Ted

I was wondering who makes a tool to cut the paint around the screw heads. I have a leaking gas tank and will need to remove it to make a repair. Also has anyone had much success using loctite 290 to seal the leaks.

Jim Knight
Burlington Iowa

I tried it but ended up cutting access holes in the back baffle, drilling out the rivets, setting new rivets and prosealing everything back up.

Here's the info from Acft Tool supply, they have various sizes. Try this link:

http://www.aircraft-tool.com/shop/search_result.aspx

SCREW PAINT CUTTER (AN4)
P/N PA36-511
For AN4 Screws. Cuts ring around paint so that the screw may be removed without cracking the paint. 1/4-28 threaded end fits into most angle drills, or get the optional arbor (p/n PA36-666) for use in a standard drill chuck. Do not work on domehead rivets
Price: $25.95