mark manda

Well Known Member
I have a rudder that's crying out for checkerboards. it'll probably get silver paint but I thought I'd ask. I'd pay $299 to Earl Shieb! just for the tail.

Must be a dozen methods. thanks for any input.

49966655928050134to.jpg

I took mine to a local vinyl graphics shop and they did a fine job. I made sure that I gave them a layout - I want it exactly *this* way...

If you don't want a vinyl design on your airplane, you could have a graphics shop create a reverse image mask for you and then you could spray the checkerboard and peel off the mask. The difficulty with this approach is that there are a lotta little masking pieces to get sealed against edge bleed, and then you've gotta remove them soon after shooting the paint. I'd be scared that I'd bugger it up in the mask removal process...

WOW! That is a beautiful piece of work

Everything in the photo appears flawless. Is the tail closure fairing from Van's? Mine fit so poorly I had to cut the horizontal stabilizer flanges off and layup new ones on the plane. It looked ugly until painted - yours looks custom made. My first reaction when I read the subject of your thread was "how hard can it be if you are going to paint the plane yourself". Then I mentally started masking and I see why you asked. Kyle's answers seem like the best ones but If I were going to attempt it I would just muddle through with a base color and then do alternate rows or columns in two separate tasks. That way I could just mask with straight tape and paper. If I were not going to paint it myself I would follow Kyle's advice to the extreme - document in unmistakable terms exactly what you want for the painter. I developed my color scheme over seven years concurrent with building the plane, and gave the painter an approximately 30 page power point package and full size patterns for every element of the color scheme. He charged me an extra $1,000 for the masking and preparation but this is a one time thing for me and I did not want to compromize the end result to save a few bucks on my home equity line of credit loans. A comment on color/paint selection. I had an Archer II for 22 years. When the factory paint wore thin I designed a new color scheme and had it painted in Imron red, silver and black. I came out beautifully and it still looked great when I sold it many years later but the metalic silver paint went dull after a very few years. It was not clear coated and I'm told that makes a big difference but I would avoid using metalics again. My RV-6A is painted with Imrom solid colors and it is clear coated. It looks great but I have some concerns about maintainability (touch-up) in the years ahead. One last comment. I flew my plane for a year before I had it painted, thank goodness, because I had many problems during the test flight program that would have destroyed the paint job. The painter did a good job of preparation and I have had none of the paint adhesion problems that paint before you fly proponents often point out.

Bob Axsom, RV-6A, N710BJ

Checkers

We take our planes to G.L.O. custom painting 817 430 2078 on 52F Krashes airfield
Or to Mecham airfield KFTW Aircraft Paint Service 817 626 2038
You could ship your rudder to them them, both shops are good.

Rudder Checkerboard

I took my rudder to G.L.O. at 52F, see Jay's post for phone number. If I remember right, the charge was $300 ($1 more than you're willing to pay to Earl Schieb!) and Grady does great work!

huge picts for bob! emp fairings

thanks for info. I appreciate it. called grady-- not in. bob, i received my emp. fairing inspiration from a plane that was at OSH in '03. thanks.

Last edited:
Rudder checkerboards

Here's how Lee Strickland (Lee 478 552-7771) in Sandersville, Ga. painted mine. These are 3" squares.

pict00586vi.jpg

Wow!

Vern,

Absolutely beautiful paint job! If you don?t mind me asking, what color red is that? Is it some type of candy red?

Regards,

Donald