mlwynn

Well Known Member
I am getting ready to mount my strobe power supply and need to make a bracket for mounting. I suspect there will be other metal pieces to bend--like the baffles, for instance. What is the best way to bend aluminum sheet? Should one buy a brake or is there a cheaper way to do so? Anyone give me a reference of where to look?

Thanks,

Michael Wynn
RV 8 Fuselage

I'm not sure where you're supply is going; mine went behind the baggage bulkhead between the j-stringers. I used .063 angle to make the mounting brackets that run between the stringers; hand seamer to bend the tabs. Here's a picture:
RV314.jpg

Beat it into submission.....

You can easily form sheet for brackets with wood blocks and a soft faced rubber or plastic hammer in your vice. Allow for proper bend radius, I use roughly 2x thickness, by rounding the edge of the block you are bending over and hammer away.
2024 Alclad is kind of brittle, so make sure you dont just pound it over the edge of a sharp block or it will crack.

Z-Brackets?

In talking with other builders, they've been able to use extra z-brackets (fuel tank mount) from Van's to mount power supplies, etc. and didn't really need a brake.

For small bends in thin stock I've used a Malco sheet metal folding tool. These have edges for different size bends. See http://www.malcoproducts.com/products/seamers/foldingtools.asp You should be able to find one at Home Depot or Lowe's; insert the aluminum sheet into the groove and bend away...

If you decide to buy a full-size brake, Grizzly (www.grizzly.com) sells a number of brakes in different sizes/prices.

Good hunting,
Mike

Last edited:
bending pieces

I have never had any trouble. I use a good hd vice, i have aluminum plates that go on both sides to protect the alclad, (wood would likely work too). Tighten it up and use a sold square edge piece of hardwood and then a rubber mallet if you cant muscle the bend. Always fast and simple. I have had my aluminum brackets for years, sure you can get them at any good tool shop, maybe even harbour freight.