danielhv

Well Known Member
Ive got the hinges drilled out for the AN3 bolts... but cant fit my fingers down there to slide the bolts in... the only one I've gotten is the bottom of the rudder... I also tried putting them in using a pair of needle nose pliers, no luck... am I doing something wrong besides having these fat sausage fingers?? :D

You need small fingers.

This is about where I would invite my wife out to the shop. Show here how well things fit together. Hope she takes the bait.

Randy Hooper

P.S. She has always been willing and great help. Guess I'm luckey and shouldn't make light.

Use these...

until final installation. I was just thinking yesterday how I would absolutely recommend these to anyone who asked.

http://www.averytools.com/p-240-temporary-assembly-pins.aspx

You will have those things on and off so many times I think you could buy these, not touch the project until they arrive, then start back when you receive them and STILL end up getting it done quicker.

Roger
-9A slow QB

I FABRICATED A TOOL OUT OF SOME SCRAP ALUMINUM. I TOOK TWO PEICES ABOUT 1.5 TO 2 INCHES WIDE ABOUT 3 TO 4 INCHES LONG. RIVET THE TWO PIECES TOGETHER. CUT ONE END TO HOLD THE BOLT THAT WILL FIT INSIDE OF OPENING. ONE SIDE WILL FIT OVER THE END OF THE BOLT HEAD TO KEEP IT FROM SLIDING THE CENTER SECTION HOLDING BOLT IS BENT AROUND THE CENTER SHAPE OF THE BOLT THIS SECTION IS ONLY ABOUT 1/8 TO 1/4WIDE. SAW ONE ON SOMEONES WEB SITE BUT CANNOT REMEMBER WHERE. BUT IT WILL LOOK LIKE A LOWER CASE h WHEN YOU GET IT MADE. HOPE THIS HELPS MAYBE SOMEONE CAN RESPOND THAT HAS PICTURES.

Needlenose

Long skinny needlenose pliers.

And yes, it is a pain in the.......

I just recently had the same problem. The tools I had previously used just did not seem to cooperate with me in the 110deg heat in the hanger 2 weeks ago.

I tried the Avery p/n 455 temp assy pins, but the pins just wanted to rotate in the holder when I tried to insert the pins in the hinge/ tie rod bearings. If I "choked-up" the threaded portion, the holder would interfere with the rudder skin bearing cut-out.

The Avery p/n 5866 Bolt Grip tool has the wrong geometry to get a pin or bolt into the hinge bracket.

Using a small mirror, I was able to see a slight misalignment between the rudder tie rod bearings. Once this was corrected (had to turn in one half turn on just one tie rod bearing), I was able to use the first tool to insert the temporary assy pins.

The AN3-xx bolt insertion was accomplished with the use of the "flexible-spring-loaded-gripper-finger-thingy" tool. This allowed me to grip the bolt just above the threaded portion, and snake the bolt / tool into a position just above the bearing block. The tool provided enough grip that I was able to push the bolt into and through the holes of the assembled structure.

Hope this helps...

I also use hemostats. Or as I like to use the official term, "Doctor Thingies."

until final installation. I was just thinking yesterday how I would absolutely recommend these to anyone who asked.

http://www.averytools.com/p-240-temporary-assembly-pins.aspx

You will have those things on and off so many times I think you could buy these, not touch the project until they arrive, then start back when you receive them and STILL end up getting it done quicker.

Roger
-9A slow QB

Save money, use tools you already have! This photo shows the allen wrench as a temporary fastener and how I inserted the bolts.

107_0781_1.jpg

Only a buck

The AN3-xx bolt insertion was accomplished with the use of the "flexible-spring-loaded-gripper-finger-thingy" tool. This allowed me to grip the bolt just above the threaded portion, and snake the bolt / tool into a position just above the bearing block. The tool provided enough grip that I was able to push the bolt into and through the holes of the assembled structure.

I have used the same tool, and it works great. Only a $1 at the dollar store (can't beat that).

Modify a pair of needle nose pliers

I am traveling and can't post a picture, but I've used the same pair of needle nose pliers I modified in 1980. Just take a pair of needle nose pliers, open then up and put a little "v-notch" in each nose about 1/2"-3/4" up from the tip by using your grinder wheel. Takes about 10 seconds. Then you can hold almost any size bolt without it slipping. Works great for the rudder and elevator bolts, and lots of other places, too.

Vic

I just recently had the same problem. The tools I had previously used just did not seem to cooperate with me in the 110deg heat in the hanger 2 weeks ago.

I tried the Avery p/n 455 temp assy pins, but the pins just wanted to rotate in the holder when I tried to insert the pins in the hinge/ tie rod bearings. If I "choked-up" the threaded portion, the holder would interfere with the rudder skin bearing cut-out.

The Avery p/n 5866 Bolt Grip tool has the wrong geometry to get a pin or bolt into the hinge bracket.

Using a small mirror, I was able to see a slight misalignment between the rudder tie rod bearings. Once this was corrected (had to turn in one half turn on just one tie rod bearing), I was able to use the first tool to insert the temporary assy pins.

Hope this helps...

I agree - both the Avery "Bent Pins" and the "Bolt Head Grippers" interfere with the control surface cutouts and stop you aligning the bolts square to the hinge brackets and bearings. I've had success using needle nose pliers and gripping the bolts halfway along their length - but I do like the idea of notching the jaws of the pliers to stop the bolt rotating sideways or being ejected out of the jaws.

Jim Sharkey