andrew phillips

Well Known Member
I have van's set up with two lights in each wingtip. I would like to adjust them for proper placement. Are there any rules of thumb as to how they should be aimed. Any techniques using measured distances on the ground or against a wall that would serve as a good starting point?

The landing lights? I think as long as the other people in the pattern can see them you are good. :)

All joking aside I would aim 1 so you can see the ground 20-25' (for taxiing) in front of you and the other straight in front of your wings.

Close the hangar door and measure the height and location of the beam on the door. Knowing the height of the light and distance from the light to the door, you can easily adjust the light to aim it at a certain point in front of the airplane (e.g. 20-25' as suggested).

Aiming ideas

Use a digital level to determine your nose up attitude when coming over the numbers. Add to this a point down factor say 3 degree glide slope. This should be your aim down for the landing light. The taxi light will be whatever your fellow pilots will bear. Ideally our aircraft lights would be best if the wide pattern were oriented vertically and not horizontally as is used in automotive. A narrow beam projecting near and far down a narrow runway would be ideal. Maybe some of those projection lights in the newer cars rotated 90 degrees?