pa38112

Well Known Member
I have a Geaman 296 that has not had the database updated since 2004. My computer does not have a port that will accept the plug that came with the unit, so I bought an adaptor to a USB. The computer says that it does not see the device. I am thinking that just because the adaptor fits it does not mean that it is compatable- Any idea how to get it updated ?

I have updated some x96...not sure which. My recollection is that the data cable connects to the GPS unit (cannot remember where) then to a USB port.

Find a friend with a computer that has a suitable connector....or try a local library.

Are you sure that Garmin still supports the 296?? I still have a 195, (not 196) in my -6 and went to update last month. They no longer support that device. Sort of ticks me off, it is not that old and works just fine. How much effort is it to run their more modern databases thru a converter to provide for that "old" device?

Will be a consideration when I am putting together the panel for the -10. Almost certain the Garmin will not be there.

Last edited:
Hmm, it appears there is some less than correct information in this thread. Navigation and obstacle databases for the GPSmap 196 are certainly still available, as are database updates for all the following Garmin portable aviation units:

• aera 795/796
  • aera 500 Series
  • GPSMAP 695/696
  • GPSMAP 495/496
  • GPSMAP 396
  • GPSMAP 296
  • GPSMAP 295
  • GPSMAP 196
  • GPSMAP 195
  • GPSCOM 190
  • GPSMAP 96/96C
  • GPS III Pilot
  • GPS 92
  • GPS 89
Note that new databases are still available for some units that have been discontinued for many years! By the way, the above is straight from the price list that's linked to on the front page of fly.garmin.com, which is where you go to update your databases.

- Matt

Last edited:
"fly garmin" site

I just updated my 296 tonight... You also have to go to the "fly" garmin site in order to update your aviation gps. Go to the bottom of the garmin site, and look for the link that says "flygarmin". This is where you navigate to in order to buy navdata updates. I have a garmin cable that is USB on one side and the other side looks similar to a micro usb connection that most smartphones use nowadays. There is small rubber plug on the back of the gps that you pull out and accepts the micro usb looking connector.

G3X Matt
The x96 series are classics in the most positive use of the term.
I am sure they will be used for many years to come, and applaud Garmin for continuing to support them with database updates, and hope this will continue.
Solid long term support separates honourable customer oriented companies (like Garmin) from the rest, and guarantees loyalty from it's customers.

John

I have a Geaman 296 that has not had the database updated since 2004. My computer does not have a port that will accept the plug that came with the unit, so I bought an adaptor to a USB. The computer says that it does not see the device. I am thinking that just because the adaptor fits it does not mean that it is compatable- Any idea how to get it updated ?

The adapter cable is more than just a cable. There should be some electronics buried in the USB end. You should have gotten a disk with the cable to load some software.

I updated a 295 just last week. Worked great.

Thanks

Thank you everyone ! I was able to update it last night - did not see that mini USB port before...