AltonD

Well Known Member
for a constant speed setup?

I searched the archives and could find great information about putting one in, but not taking one out.

Any Help out there?

Look at post #5 here for the rear plug removal:

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=26036

If you're talking about removing the FRONT plug then you can place the 'ball' end of a ball peen hammer over the center of the front plug....than whack the 'flat end' of the ball peen hammer with another hammer. The plug will simply cave in and pop right out. If you have steady hands then just skip the 2 hammer method and whack the plug with the round end of the hammer...but don't miss :eek: :D!

for a constant speed setup?

I searched the archives and could find great information about putting one in, but not taking one out.

Any Help out there?

Thanks. It was a little scary smaking my new engine with a hammer. but It worked great.

Is the rear plug in there. I doubt it is if the engine was originally setup for fixed pitch. Without it you're not going to get any pressure.

Correct- You require the rear plug. Make sure it is in there. Your CS Prop will not work without it.

Thanks. It was in there. It came that way from Lycoming. Their instructions were to remove the front plug for CS, Rear plug if using fixed, and then reinstall a new front plug for fixed.

I think, like I read here, they put the front plug in just before shipping so as not to make a mess with the oil.

Hammers are usually case hardened on the faces and can shatter if hit against another very hard surface like another hammer face. The only reason I mention this is because I did just what you suggested in a different application when I was much younger and a big sliver flaked off and went in one of my fingers and hit the bone. I couldn't even see a hole but I instantly puked from the pain. I'm just glad it was my finger and not my eye. My doctor didn't believe me until he X-Ray'd it. Nothing wrong with you're method but you might want to use a brass hammer to hit the onther one with.