Grandy

I have bonded a trailing edge with JB weld to make a straight edge, but it still came out poorly. Now I am faced with trying to redo it. My understanding is that the only way to remove JB Weld is by high heat like a propane torch.

Will this high of heat harm my aluminum skin?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Randy

Don't do it!

Yes, high heat WILL damage your aluminum skin. At best it will stretch and wrinkle.

Randy is trailing edge riveted already? What kind of problem do you have? Bow? Or varied thickness of trailing edge? Post some pix, people may have solutions.

Last edited:
It's a bow.

OK, I've worked through some of it. It was bonded with JB weld and riveted. I drilled out the rivets and then after trying it on another scrap part, I heated it up with a heat gun used for shrinking fabric on model airplanes. No discoloration or warping of the metal so it looks real good. I ran an exacto knife blade down the seam and it broke loose for me in good shape. Then I took a paint stick and bonded some sandpaper to it and smoothed up and freshened the surface of the aluminum. It's now clecoed back together with a nice bow in it.

I figured I am now back to square one and had planned on trying to pin the parts between a couple pieces of heavy alum. bar or angle stock.

If anyone has any other ideas, I'm open.

RS

use proseal with a straight edge, let it harden throughly. The laminating of the parts should hold them straight. follow Van's instrution on riviting. Should turn out very straight. ( my setup photo) imho epoxy is too brittle.
pict3603rte2.jpg

Thanks Frank

I hadn't thought of clecoing it directly to the angle. A picture is indeed worth a thousand words.

RS

No Heat, Use dry ice. I used dry ice on something like JB weld at United. We would make a little dam with foil tape around the area we were going to remove the adhesive/liquid shim. Put the dry ice on it and hear the aluminum scream.. the JB weld will then becomes very brittle and then you can pop it off.