N941WR

Legacy Member
As I get closer to flying I realized it might be time to enlarge my basement door so I can actually extract my RV and move it to the airport.

The last three weekends have been spent replacing the single 32" door with a 64" double door and I would like to know if I can log all those hours as building time? ;)

Here's a picture of my new door.

The only problem I have is now that my wife has seen me build my plane, the oak drafting table that I use to hold my drawings, and now install this door, do the wiring and drywall, and finally lay the bricks, she is starting to compile a LONG list of things for me to do after the -9 is flying.

Once you are done building, your hands and fingers will be so itchy, a project here and there will be most welcome. Us builders are terminal putzers and willalways be looking for something to do. ;) :)

Roberta

Hey, that's MY house!!!

I have exactly the same project ahead of me. And, the picture you sent of your door is almost exactly the same as what my door looks like from my basement work area.

I assume that you will be taking off the propeller, empennage, wings and landing gear to get it back through the door?

In my basement, I have supporting stud walls that limit where I can position the airplane. I have at least a 1000 square feet of workspace, but only about one position where I can have the wings and empennage on. And in that position, the right wing will extend into my office.

Oh, and my wife is not allowed in the basement. Solves many problems.

Based on what I observe spouses put up with in the building of an RV, you should start at the top of that list...and when you work your way to the bottom.... hope that she doesn't bother calculating that you're not even close to being "even." ;)

OldAndBold said:
BTW, where did you buy that door from??? Was it prehung?
It came from Hoke Lumber and it was prehung metal door. The pins for the fixed side were installed but I still had to drill the holes top and bottom and carve out and install the strike plates. Hoke is located in Davidson, NC. The door was a special order but nothing crazy expensive. $400 for the door and probably $1,000 by the time I figured in all the stuff. Still haven't added it all up. Today's bricks, crushed stones, etc. cost me around $200.

By special order, they need to know which side I wanted to open, how many windows, metal or fiberglass, etc. Lots of options.

The good part of the installation was that the outside wall runs parallel to the floor joists so I didn't have to build a support wall while I cut the hole in the wall.

OldAndBold said:
I assume that you will be taking off the propeller, empennage, wings and landing gear to get it back through the door?
Yep and the gear legs. They are just a bit wide. I have three options, one is to try and snake it through one leg at a time. Option two is to stick the nose out the door, lift it with the engine hoist and remove one gear leg, push it out, and reinstall the gear leg. The third option is to remove both gear legs and put it back on the building stand I used, which has wheels, and put it back on the gear once it is out the door. Option three is probably what I will do.

As for putting the plane together in the basement, click on this picture:

Both wings and the tail were on when it was taken.

My wonderful wife is allowed in the basement any time she wants; just her "STUFF" is not. She has the rest of the house for that. I can't remember the last time I sat on one of the couches in the family room, it has been taken over by scrapbooking "STUFF".

Alse there are more pictures on this page of my web site, if you want to see what was involved.

Last edited:
Snaking through the door

C'mon Bill, snaking the 6'8" wide main wheels through a 6'0" door opening is really no problem...Definitely worth trying before removing the gear legs. Judging from your picture you may want to lay a couple pieces of 4x8 plywood down to give the wheels solid footing once outside though.

Definitly plan on having a friend or two over to help with the "maneuvering".