cjensen

Well Known Member
O-360, ND alternator...which bracket do I need? Should I just buy the kit from Van's? Best deal?

:confused:

I started with Vans 60Amp alt. kit and the mounting h/w. This involved some modifications to the hardware as documented in Van's instructions. The most eyeball intensive procedure was to jogel the aluminum tension arm for the alternator so that the belt from the engine ring gear will align with the alternator pulley. It all fits and aligns well.

However, I have seen several post that complain of cracked tension arms...my solution was to buy an extra aluminum tension arm from Van, and I need to go shopping at my favorite auto parts store for a similar geometry part that is stamped out of steel. I still have not done this, but it is on my to-do list...

Oh...I forgot to mention...if you have a preference to internally vs externally regulated alternators, and what happens with a "load dump" situation???

You may want to web search here or on the Matronics list, or Bob Nuckles extensive documentation on the subject. These insights may influence your selection of alternator types and OV scenarios.