Skybolt Al

Well Known Member
I'm buying an RV9 empennage 2nd hand. Will there be a problem getting it 'registered' with Van's so that I can buy the wing kit?

Also, is there anything like service bulletins/problems with certain empennage kits that I need to be aware of?

Thanks,

Best advice ever

Get used to hearing this one. I'm not trying to be smart, but it is your best solution....

Call Vans

Al,

When all the smoke clears and Van's is convinced that you purchased another builders kit you will take over his builder number. They make this process pretty painless.

I just picked up a RV_4 tail kit 2nd hand and all it took was a bill of sale to Vans, to prove the transfer, then some paperwork from Vans, and the original kit number becomes yours. Like they've said above, Vans makes it pretty easy.

Pretty much the same story here, the number is permanently assigned to the kit, buyers come and go--------

Van's Aircraft Kit Number Transfer

Just have the seller sign a "Bill of Sale" saying that he is selling you RV-9 Tail Kit Number _______ and then send a copy of it to Van's Aircraft and ask them to change there records.

Van's Aircraft will send you a form to sign transfering the kit number into your name.

Good luck.

Does anyone know how to find out the kit # if the seller doesnt know, is not the original owner and does not have it, paperwork lost or something of that nature?

I bought just a tail kit from the second or third owner here on the classifieds. I cant find the message or his name and i dont think i got a bos at the tome. So then how do i go about it?

How does the "builder's number" relate to the aircraft's serial number... or does it?
(from someone who bought an already flying RV)

No, there is nothing marked or stamped. Like the others say, just call Vans, tell them your deal, and they will make it all right!

Vans builder number

Vans is very helpful. I suspect they will ask you to write an affidavit, get it notarized and they will send you the builder certificate. You'll have your builder number memorized in no time.:D