diamond

Well Known Member
I have a SB 9 emp and wing kit arriving this week by Fedex freight. It consists of 3 crates totalling 550 pounds. Apparently the driver will rely on me to unload it from the truck, unless I want to drop another $300 for that service. So I'm curious how you guys managed to get your freight off the delivery truck. Since the freight may arrive during the day, asking friends to take work time off to help may be a little iffy. Do I need to rent some type of fork lift for the occasion? I do have an ATV ramp that could possibly be used, but I have no idea how high the back of the truck will be. Any advice greatly appreciated.

All mine came ABF or other freight companies (RV-10). With a hand truck and 2 moving dollies I was able to get all the crates from the truck to my garage with the help of the driver. At least with ABF the driver helped, and had a lift-gate on the back. (No extra charge).

MOver dolly

Slide box out of the truck so one end sit on the ground and one is against the truck. Place movers dolly (flat type with 4 wheels) you can get them at Harbor Freight. with help hold up the truck wend while the truck is moved out of the way then set the create down onto the dolly. Now you can wheel it into the garage. I have used several of these dolly. My finish kit create stayed on one and it is kind of a mobile work bench, I can move it around with ease. I did the same with the pallet my engine arrived on.

No long ago two of us unloaded a finish kit crate for a friend out of a pick up, it worked like a charm.

Cheers

Slide box out of the truck so one end sit on the ground and one is against the truck. Place movers dolly (flat type with 4 wheels) you can get them at Harbor Freight. with help hold up the truck wend while the truck is moved out of the way then set the create down onto the dolly. Now you can wheel it into the garage. I have used several of these dolly. My finish kit create stayed on one and it is kind of a mobile work bench, I can move it around with ease. I did the same with the pallet my engine arrived on.

I did a variant of this - I bought castors and screwed them to short lengths of 2x4s (the widths matched the widths of the various boxes). Screw 2x4 onto end of crate. Lower that end of crate and attach 2x4 with more castors to opposite end then lower that end onto the ground.

Advantage is that there is no dolly to slip or otherwise shift around underneath the crate.

Friends and dollies.

I've been lucky enough to have help unloading my crates from the truck to the ground and then used the cheap Harbor Freight dollys to roll it into the garage. Getting my wing kit, I was lucky enough to have enough help to just carry it all into the garage and set it down, instead of the dollies. Don't pay for the lift gate service for things that are really long and bulky because it never seems to work.

wing_kit_arrives.jpg

I think I invited half the neighborhood over when the wing kit arrived; I was quite nervous about so much weight.

Two guys could do it.

I got all of my kits at the same time, off loaded them onto the Harbor Freight dollies and just put them where I wanted them, and moved them around a bit as well. Worked very well.

I picked mine up from the terminal in my pick-up and then off loaded using my tailgate-width ATV ramp. I have offloaded all the crates this way, just make sure you have a couple strips of wood around to slide the crate on.

Due to Mike (Partain driver) not being able to get his trailer down my cul-de-sac (I live at the end) he had to unload on an adjacent street about 100 feet away. His dolly's wheels were too small for the rough sidewalk and street, so I recruited a few aviation-oriented friends and neighbors to act as "pallbearers" using 2x4's under the crates.
DSCN3287.JPG

I was lucky enough to have access to a drywall lift. Just cranked it up, slid the box on top of it, and rolled it inside.