avee8tor13

Well Known Member
All,

Did any one send out their data plates for stamping or did you do it yourself? If you did yourself, what stamp did you use.

Thanks

Trophy Shop - Bad

I took mine to the local trophy shop and it was incredibly bad when I got it back. Of course I live in a small town and am used to less than good results sometimes.

I used a Dremel Tool to make another one. It is terrible and about 200% better than the professionally done one.

Trophy shop for me, worked out great! Cheap too!
Try a different one.

I scanned the plate and put the lettering on it in the computer so I could show them exactly how I wanted it.

Engraving

I first used a trophy and engraving shop and the print looked great. The only problem was it was only about a half thousands deep and it couldn't be seen very well. Cost way to much money also. They complaned about it being Stainless and to tough to go deeper. Most of them engrave on soft materials. I ended up replacing it when it couldn't be read by the inspector easily.

Go to a local CNC machine shop and they can ball end mill it with their CNC mill to any depth you want. I think you want to be .004 to.005 deep minimum for it to be easily seen. If your lucky you'll get a guy who is into airplanes and it can be inexpensive and, or negotiable, ie ride in plane or beer.

Ted

I first used a trophy and engraving shop ... They complaned about it being Stainless and to tough to go deeper. Most of them engrave on soft materials...

Ted

Good point, Ted. Make sure the trophy shop knows it's stainless and ask if they can handle it. If they have the right tools it will look fine. I had mine done that way. Took only a couple of days. Of course I live in a big town, but even in Dallas there is only one trophy shop I know of that has the right tools. (It's Holsapple & Sons for those of you who are local.)

Chris

Go to Harbor frieght and spend $5.99 on a stamp set and stamp them out yourself.

Next time you happen to see a brand-new A36 Bonanza, note where the dataplate is... its on the bottom of the tailcone, underneath the fuselage. There's nothing in ?45.13 that says it has to be on the side of the airplane.

I had mine done by engravers.net and I also got my N numbers from them. Great work at a fair price.

Harbor Freight Stamp Set

I bought the steel stamp set from Harbor Freight and did it myself. It worked fine.

Bob Axsom

Data Plates from Aircraft Engravers.

The first set was done by the local trophy shop. Poor quality, misalignment, double strike , etc. The second set was done By Aircraft Engravers out of Conn. They provided the plate did an excellent job on the letters at a very acceptable price. I also ordered decal N numbers . They were also of good quality . They're Recommended highly. By the way the local trophy shop didn't charge for the mess it must have been holiday labor at the time!! / DRRhodes RV9 N 908DR