Brantel

Well Known Member
Please share the creative ways that you prevented damage to your seat and bagage area skins and ribs while in construction.

Seems it is almost impossible to prevent having to get in there and apply pressure to these areas. It also seems that until they are all tied together with rivets and screws, that damage could be very easy to cause. The area forward of the spar seems like it would be easy to damage as well. Also, list any ideas for getting into the tailcone without causing damage to the bulkheads and bottom skins.

I assume this is no problem for the fly weight people out there but I also see that lots of RV builders are heavier to which I can definately relate. So how do you do it without problems?

I'll be interested in hearing answers to this too... I'll be rolling my canoe in a few days. The thought of stepping into it and putting my weight down scares me... somehow doesn't look like something that should support my weight... where are the 2x8 joists???

......Seems it is almost impossible to prevent having to get in there and apply pressure to these areas......So how do you do it without problems?
I can't speak to the RV-7 series instructions, but the RV-8 series directs the builder to fabricate temporary plywood floors.

Big giant pillows. Everytime me or a neighbor throws another old '70s-style couch or chair out of the house, I grab the cushions. Trash day is a day I drive slower in the neighborhood.

Rich strung me up by my ankles and dangled me in there until I was done. Just kidding!! The boards and pillows are the best way. Keep the fuselage low so you can reach in from the outside as much as possible. Or dangle it overhead and reach upward.;)

Roberta

1. Keep your feet on the ground as much as possible. I've got no more than 8 hours inside the fuse in 1700 hours of building.

2. Wood floors.

3. Cushions/foam.

4. Have a small, spry friend who loves to work on airplanes.

5. Use your kids in the tail section.

Jekyll

Does not need to be fancy

Boards and whatever cushioning you can find. The boards do not need to be anything cut to dimmension, just enough to lay on so you can move them around. I got most use out of a board that was 12"x36" 3/4" ply. Supports your wieght, easy to shift around. If your bigger, maybe a bit wider but dont waste your time custom building them to fit your floors.

Don't turn it

I know that "flipping the canoe" is a big step in the construction of an RV. I was very excited when that day came for me. After working on it rightside up for about a day, I turned it back upside down. I installed the floors, landing gear mounts, rear bulkhead cover, etc with it turned upside down. I even test fit the landing gear legs with it upside down. I had some rubber mats (to save the knees) and a small stool to sit on. After everything possible was installed I flipped it rightside up and used some 2x6's to spread my weight.

Wal-Mart........... Bean bag chair. Cut it open and remove 1/2 of the beans and place them in an old king size pillow case. Now you have two 1/2 filled bags that will lay and conform to the shape that you place them over and spread out your weight. Mutch softer than plywood to lay on............

I laid some old pillows in there, covered with a blanket and stuffed my girlfriend in to buck the tailcone. Only after she was wedged in real good did I tell her that the reason it stunk so bad was that the blanket belonged to the dog for the last couple of years! :p

Steve:

What a man! Sacrifice the girlfriend for the RV! Ooh rah! Your priorities are straight. Now, if only an RV could change geriatric diapers the world would be right and your future assured!

Jekyll

cushing materials

When reaching beyond the baggage bay I used a long thin section of plywood cut from Van's shipping crate above the ribs. This spanned several bulkhead/frames.

Once the floor was in place and painted I put a couple of layers of 1/8" shipping foam sheet down, a section of plywood (shipping container again) over it and then I lined this top surface with a thick shipping blanket from Harbor Freight. Worked fine, no dents or scratches.