mikeangiulo

I'm looking at the flap actuator rod and the safety wire drilling instructions. I can't seem to figure out how I'm going to shoot this hole with a tiny bit and have enough room for the jam nut.

Any tips? I did a few searches and found the question asked but didn't find any how-to responses (and I don't want to ugly up the end by just taking a running start at it).

Thanks in advance!

I wondered the same thing, but I got out a small bit and simply started drilling at about a 45 degree angle and it came ouit just fine. This is a case of don't think, just do it.

Did the same, started with the bit more 90deg to get it started and soon as I could, I rotated it to the correct angle.

Same, but used a punch

I put the nut on and saw where I'd need to have the hole so it cleared the nut. Then center-punched the drill spot. Took the nut off, and like said above, started the hole at about 90* then leaned the drill over to get the 45*. Worked fine. Don't sweat it.

That jig won't work in this case.

2761938060042045769S600x600Q85.jpg

Last edited:
you're all right (of course) - I just took a #50 bit, started straight and turned it once I got the hole going and it worked fine

sometimes steps like this need a little encouragement - thanks for the advice!