inktomi

Well Known Member
Sponsor
Hi -

I made a big mistake and riveted the hinges on my flaps in place before aligning my flaps with my ailerons. It turns out, though, they're pretty close - the flap would need to come out about 1/16" to make it perfect with the aileron in a neutral position.

I think this is purely cosmetic, and I feel like it meets the 5-foot rule for cosmetic things. Is this trailing edge alignment actually cosmetic or is there a safety issue or control issue as well? Would you remove and replace the hinge if this were your build?

IMG_3571.JPG
IMG_3570.JPG

Hi -

I made a big mistake and riveted the hinges on my flaps in place before aligning my flaps with my ailerons. It turns out, though, they're pretty close - the flap would need to come out about 1/16" to make it perfect with the aileron in a neutral position.

I think this is purely cosmetic, and I feel like it meets the 5-foot rule for cosmetic things. Is this trailing edge alignment actually cosmetic or is there a safety issue or control issue as well? Would you remove and replace the hinge if this were your build?

View attachment 67711View attachment 67712
No. No one will notice but you. Build on!

Thank you for the replies! I wanted to make sure that this was purely cosmetic and not some weirdo aerodynamic issue of some sort. I don't think this gap is egregious. You only notice it with a straight edge.

That said, I might as well ask while I have your attention - any pro tips on getting the washers into place inside the aileron hinges? I did it for one of them, and then bought the Avery pins for the rest. It's a real PITA getting those washers into place inside the hinges! Is there a trick to make it easier? I ended up cutting a notch out of cardboard, but that doesn't work for the very thin 10L washers that get stacked up on the outer hinges.

That said, I might as well ask while I have your attention - any pro tips on getting the washers into place inside the aileron hinges? I did it for one of them, and then bought the Avery pins for the rest. It's a real PITA getting those washers into place inside the hinges! Is there a trick to make it easier? I ended up cutting a notch out of cardboard, but that doesn't work for the very thin 10L washers that get stacked up on the outer hinges.

you won’t regret buying these.