Shockwave

Well Known Member
I have a nice workshop in my basement. The problem is I don't have a straight shot up the stairs, I have a T intersection at the top. (either into the kitchen or into the garage) I can get a 4x8 sheet of plywood down but its not easy. So I'm trying to figure how much I can build down there before I have to move into the garage.

Should b fine, I think the HS is a few inches over 100 inches if I remember correctly.

I have a nice workshop in my basement. The problem is I don't have a straight shot up the stairs, I have a T intersection at the top. (either into the kitchen or into the garage) I can get a 4x8 sheet of plywood down but its not easy. So I'm trying to figure how much I can build down there before I have to move into the garage.
With no outside access from the basement, it sounds like your predicament is very much like mine is. If you can get a flat 4X8 sheet of plywood down there (without bending it), you might be able to build the 9' long wings in the basement. My back was against the refrigerator to take the photo. The door to the right opens to the garage. By temporarily removing the hand rail and support post and rolling the refrigerator out of the way, I was able to get the -6A wings out of the basement without too much fuss, even with the fuel tanks attached. This time around, even those will be removed. When devoid of flaps and ailerons, the wings are light and small enough to lift and manipulate by two people of average strength. My suggestion is to fab up a 4' X 9' plywood "mockup" and see if it is possible to move it through the area. If you can do that, then you can build the wings in the basement.

Last edited:
Thanks!

I can't move a fridge out of the way, but yes I have a turn like Rick. Only advantage is I don't have to turn at the bottom of the stairs either. I had no idea the wings would be short enough too. How big are they? (oops, missed your suggestion for 4x9' ply, will try that)

Here's mine for comparison. I'm standing up against the coat rack, the landing is a bit over 3' square. The door to the garage is 32" (to the right).

stairs.jpg