WISC

Well Known Member
I have not sat in a RV4 but sat in a RV3 recently. The RV3 owner was shorter than me but stated the seat could only be moved aft by about an inch. I was really cramped and don't think I am a big guy 6feet/175#s.

Is there someway to make more room in a -3?

Does the -4 have the same dimensions?

It doesn't seem logical for the aircraft not to be able to accomodate an average size pilot. I appreciate all the advice.

Well, Dick fit in the RV-3 and, I think, he's about your size. Our 6'6" neighbor has sat in our -3. While I'm not sure how comfortable he would be flying it, he fit. I know pilots quite a bit larger than you that have flow both the -3 and -4. So, it's clearly doable.

The rudder pedals can be moved (on the ground) fore and aft to add significant leg room. The Todd's Tall Man canopy makes the torso room very generous. And, of course, different seat cushions can also make a big difference. Junior's Oregon Aero seat is mighty comfy but takes up a lot of room. However, if one is claustrophobic , the -3 and -4 are not for you.

I'm 6'2".....

.... and 180lb. You wear the -3, you strap it on, thats what makes it so much fun to fly.:D You can move the rudder pedals forward about 3", which is what I did, I am very comfortable seated in the plane. I also use very little in the way of foam for a back rest, and I am good for about 2 hours of flying. The -4 I'm building has slightly more in the way of room, but not a whole lot, still comfortable. If I can fit, you can fit too.:)

I'm 6'1" and just under 200 #. The -4 fits me perfect. You don't have much room for charts and things but that is fine.

Keep in mind the -3 and -4 were never pre-punch. I can guarantee that each one sits differently. Just because you sit in one serial number doesn't mean the next fits the same way. I lowered the seat 5/8" and added an extra 1" of foam in mine to make it fit my body better. My hangar mates -4 was built for a smaller guy. I fly it but it's uncomfortable for me.

Last edited:
I'm 5'7" and 193 lbs and feel cramped in an RV4's front seat. The back seat is torture.

I can sit in either seat of an RV-8 all day long... especially the front one :D

I'm 6'2", 225 and the -4 fits me just fine. I even manage it wearing a 'chute, although I'm moving from a backpack to a seatpack for a better fit.