bill v

Well Known Member
can i just use grommets to run the wires for the landing light and position lights through the wing ribs and how big a grommet is needed i see vans conduit has an outside diameter of .8 inchs i thought i would just use grommets or is the conduit reguired? my plan is to use the same grommets as the airspeed tube 7/16 od.

Conduit is not required; it just makes things easier if you need to run more wire(s) in the future. 7/16 will probably not be large enough for pitot, landing, strobe and nav lights. If you add a roll servo in the wing you will also need an even larger grommet from the bell-crank inboard..

7/16 grommet just below pitot tube

i plan to put a second 7/16 grommet just below the pitot tube in the tooling hole will only have nav, landing, and a strobe wire going through the grommet but is this large enough hole?

Well, you could take some scrap and try it

Well, you could take some scrap and try it if you are that concerned about minimizing the hole size. I put in the conduit for modification and service reasons but I have never used tha capability yet in seven years of operation. I plan on cutting down the wing span a little some day and the conduit actually adds a little complication, work and risk. I would not make it close fit on the wires.

Bob Axsom