StuBob

Well Known Member
As a new (returning) builder, I've wondered about a few things that seem pretty ill-defined. Things like, how rounded to skin corners need to be? How broke (broken?) do skin edges need to be? And, of course, what to prime, if anything?

Turns out I have a source for all of those answers, or at least insight into how certain Wichita pros did it in 1970: my V35B Bonanza. So, off to the hangar I went.......

First, the corners. This is the front of the right-sided cowling. It's a little beat up, but it's 45 years old:
2015-12-26%2009.41.31-S.jpg

But that isn't where they crack. This is where they crack, at the first hinge rivet:
2015-12-26%2010.07.36-S.jpg

Then there's the lap joints. I don't see that any of them are broke (breaked?). But the skins are also much thicker than RV skins. My finger is there for scale. Looking closely, I suspect a lot of these corners were done by hand.
2015-12-26%2009.48.33-S.jpg

Some corners aren't radiused at all, but I've never heard of one cracking:
2015-12-26%2009.43.56-S.jpg

As an aside, I wonder how they got to the shop head on this one:
2015-12-26%2009.47.10-S.jpg

And my own entries into Primer Wars:
2015-12-26%2010.11.34-S.jpg

Here, notice the only things primed are the ruddervator mixer, which I think is steel, and the doublers behind the antennas, which were added on at some later date:
2015-12-26%2010.11.19-S.jpg

Not to say I'm not priming anything; just making conversation.

Happy New Year, VAF!

I thought the mixers were magnesium. I've had to rebuild about 7 gear up bonanzas. The chin area up front usually has a bunch of pieces of aluminum shims stuffed in wherever. Wichita work ain't all that, that's for sure.

Primer

I work on Kingairs, Learjet 45 and citation bravos and everything is primed inside! When I get started I will paint a light coat of primer on everything.

Primer

I work on Kingairs, Learjet 45 and citation bravos and everything is primed inside! When I get started I will paint a light coat of primer on everything.

Later model A36 Bo's are 100% primed with chromate primer inside. Also, I believe factory replacement parts (bulkheads, for example) come primed. I figure there must be a reason why they started priming parts on their later aircraft.

Skylor

Later model A36 Bo's are 100% primed with chromate primer inside. Also, I believe factory replacement parts (bulkheads, for example) come primed. I figure there must be a reason why they started priming parts on their later aircraft.

Skylor

Sure there is: Marketing. :)

Seriously, it's more likely that they've seen *some* of their products with corrosion issues, if operated consistently in more corrosion-prone environments. Since they can't predict which planes will end up in those environments, and it would be more difficult to pick & choose on a production line anyway, they probably have made the decision to just do 'em all.

If I lived on the Florida coast, I might be more prone to priming everything, but I don't live there & don't expect my plane to spend a lot of time there. So the ribs/bulkheads got alodined and the faying surface areas got conversion coating type primer, and the interior of closed-up stuff like the tail got a mist of Boelube spray.

Charlie

I had a 1970 V35 for several years. Mine was primed inside. Something kind of neat to look at are the milled panels in some of the larger Beechcraft.