brian

Well Known Member
It isn't clear to me from looking at drawing C1 how the U-713Cs (wheel pant mount brackets) are attached. At the fwd end, they are attached to the fork with the 3/8 x 24 x 3/4" Allen screws. But at the aft end, the drawing looks to me like the nose wheel axle bolt washers go OUTSIDE the U-713Cs.

On my -6A, the slot that the builder/previous owner made in the U-713Cs is wider than the axle bolt washers and bolt head/nut. So, the U-713Cs are fastened at the front, and just hang over the axle bolt.

Is this right? Or is the slot supposed to be smaller, only the width of the axle bolt shank, so it's caught by the axle bolt washers and held in place at the rear by the axle bolt? On the drawing, it looks to me like the washers on the axle bolt are outside of the U-713Cs.

If my current U-713Cs slot is too wide and they are supposed to be also secured by the axle bolt, perhaps that has something to do with why my U-813A aft nose wheel fairing mysteriously exploded enroute to Copperstate last year, which is why I'm now redoing the nose wheel pant.

Even if the U-713Cs are not supposed to be fastened at the rear with the axle bolt, wouldn't I have a stiffer wheel pant mount if I used larger washers on the axle bolt, to catch and hold the U-713Cs firm at the rear?

Is this the nosewheel you're talking about? You'll note the washers on the main bolt through the axel...that provides space so the slot fits under the washer on the bolt. As I recall, you have to lengthen that slot, but don't quote me. but yes, the slot is only slightly bigger than the width of the shank on the bolt.

yes, it's the nosewheel
I believe you're saying the axle bolt does clamp the bracket to the fork, under the washers. I could redo the U-713Cs, but I think I'll just replace one of the washers on each end of the axle bolt with a fender washer, to hold the U-713C in place.
thanks,
brian

yes, it's the nosewheel
I believe you're saying the axle bolt does clamp the bracket to the fork, under the washers. I could redo the U-713Cs, but I think I'll just replace one of the washers on each end of the axle bolt with a fender washer, to hold the U-713C in place.
thanks,
brian

They don't exert any clamping force, they just slip past the bolt...the larger washer prevents them from moving outward and then the allen head bolts do the heavy lifting. But, yeah, it's best not to have too large a slot there to prevent any up/down movement in the bracket.

On my ten, there are two washer per side, a smaller one that locates in the slot, and a largerone that captures the bracket when the axle bolt & nut are tightened.