Davepar

Well Known Member
I've been marking all of the holes that need to go in the firewall for the fuel line, throttle, mixture, prop control, cabin heat, etc. based on the firewall forward plans for the IO-360-M1B w/ CS prop. (I'm installing a Mattituck IO-360 with forward facing sump.) I already noticed that the fuel line doubler is going to interfere with the starter contactor. That makes me worried.

Has anybody found any problems with Van's recommended layout for the firewall?

Dave

Worked well for am O-360-A1A

Dave,

Just as a datapoint for you, on my RV-8, using a carbureted O-360 A1A, I used the FWF plans exactly, and had very good dresults. I can't tell if they just got lucky with that layout, or if all of their layouts work out as well, but if a statistical sample size of "one" does you any good....there ya' go! :D

Paul Dye
RV-8 N188PD - Flying

Rv-7a

Mine worked out well too. The only problem was I used a throttle quadrant instead of the standard vernier cables and I wish I had changed the exit position a little. Other than that, no problems!

Hi Dave,

Personally, I would use Van's layout as a rough guide. No two airplanes, and thus firewalls, are exactly the same.

I put the mount on my engine while it was on the hoist, then just moved the engine/mount combination on and off the firewall, measuring, cutting, fitting as I went. This way, you get the holes in EXACTLY the right place. And since the only bolts you are fiddling with are the ones through the mount into the firewall, it is easy to do.

Your mileage may vary, batteries not included, etc, etc ;-)

Cheers

FWF plans are pretty close

Davepar said:
I've been marking all of the holes that need to go in the firewall for the fuel line, throttle, mixture, prop control, cabin heat, etc. based on the firewall forward plans for the IO-360-M1B w/ CS prop. (I'm installing a Mattituck IO-360 with forward facing sump.) I already noticed that the fuel line doubler is going to interfere with the starter contactor. That makes me worried.

Has anybody found any problems with Van's recommended layout for the firewall?

Dave

Yeah, there are one or two mutually exclusive locations called out in the plans. I think they used to recommend mounting contactors diagonally to avoid inadvertent G-induced activation or deactivation.

I documented this on my web site at some point. But in reality, all of this FWF stuff is a "make it work" type of thing. Just plan as carefully as you can.

Think about stuff like -- do I have room to pull the battery out? Can I remove the oil cooler without major surgery? Do I have room to X, Y, or Z? Room to run the brake line for the right side? etc.

I know it's difficult to anticipate a lot of this, but if you follow the FWF plans loosely, you'll be in good shape (imho).

)_( Dan
RV-7 N714D
http://www.rvproject.com

Thanks for the replies. From the advice here and reading the building logs, this sounds like the plan:

- Van's location for the battery mount, contactors, cabin heat, and nosewheel bolt access are all fairly standard and don't vary per engine.
- Wait until my engine arrives to drill the control cables and fuel supply line. At that point I can verify that their location is roughly in the right spot.
- Drill the holes before I mount the engine and make it work from there!

When I first starting contemplating the fw-fwd a few months ago, I was worried that I was getting in over my head. Three things are helping quite a bit, the plans in Van's fw-fwd kit, Dan's and other's logs, and the Tony Bingelis fw-fwd book. A lot of stuff in Tony's book is getting dated, but there is also a lot of very good advice and pictures.

Dave