donaziza

Well Known Member
There's another thread about crosswind limitations on RV 6's. Anybody got "good numbers" for RV 8's?

Nope!

No matter what number I'd put down, someone else will top - or debate - it.

The best thing about the RV's is that they have so much performance that you can almost always give a landing a try, and if you don't like what is goign on, you can blast out of there in an instant. I've always managed to get in where I was going - but I've always had a "Plan B" of someplace else to go if it didn't work out.

The short answer is that there really are no "limits"... You will find a "demonstrated" crosswind component in most POH for store bought, or a first hand account on the Web for an experimental. But like Paul says, just because you find a number out there doesn't mean it applies to you. One person may find 15 knots outside their comfort zone, while you may find it perfectly manageable. This is one of those areas you really have to judge for yourself.

But the fact remains that RVs handle crosswinds better than the typical spam can.

Paul is right. The landing has too many variables but the go-around is the safest way to establish personal limits.

There's another thread about crosswind limitations on RV 6's. Anybody got "good numbers" for RV 8's?

I've found that a steady state 15 kt cross wind is no problem in an RV-8, but I learned to fly in Lubbock, Tx where the prevailing wind is north/south but when it's not north or south the wind is usually west at about 30 mph.

Just steer with the ailerons and keep the nose straight with the rudders. Gusts are another thing all together, however.

-John

I'm with John, 15knots direct as a steady crosswind is a non issue. I've done gusting over 20 and that was going well until a gust occurred just as the tail was coming down. The 8 weathervaned towards the grass enough to scare me a bit, the rudder hit the floor and the tailwheel castored all at the same time. That was a serious lack of technique on my part and poor timing of the gust. A bit of differential braking brought it back quickly enough and the damage to my new seat cushion was minimal. :)

I still have the training wheels on so don't intentionally put myself in high crosswinds, but here in the Rockies things change quickly. As others have said, sneak up on cross wind practice if you can and a go around just means you get to fly a little longer. I enjoy how quickly these planes leap back in the air after I've decided my skills didn't equal the challenge.

Last edited:
Gusts

I'm with John, 15knots direct as a steady crosswind is a non issue. I've done gusting over 20 and that was going well until a gust occurred just as the tail was coming down. The 8 weathervaned towards the grass enough to scare me a bit, the rudder hit the floor and the tailwheel castored all at the same time. That was a serious lack of technique on my part and poor timing of the gust. A bit of differential braking brought it back quickly enough and the damage to my new seat cushion was minimal. :)

I still have the training wheels on so don't intentionally put myself in high crosswinds, but here in the Rockies things change quickly. As others have said, sneak up on cross wind practice if you can and a go around just means you get to fly a little longer. I enjoy how quickly these planes leap back in the air after I've decided my skills didn't equal the challenge.

My experience agrees with the last couple of posts. 15 kts steady 90 degree cross wind is not a big deal in the -8, but when it starts getting around 15g22, beware. The touchdown is still not a big deal, but if you get a gust after putting the tail wheel down, be ready to firewall the opposite rudder AND the brake. Also a tad of throttle on the rollout (especially with a CS prop and low idle) helps tremendously with controllability.

Skylor
RV-8