vbpiper

Well Known Member
I was getting ready to wire the Hobbs meter and pressure switch, but could not find instructions. As always, Van's to the rescue. They sent a PDF diagram, but basically it amounts to:
1. The meter is not polarity sensitive.
2. One terminal of the meter is wired to the "NO" terminal of the switch.
3. The "C" terminal of the switch goes to ground.
4. The "NC" terminal of the switch is wired to a red warning lamp, if desired.
5. The other terminal of the meter is wired to 12v power.
Hope this helps others?
Ward

my Hobbs didn't work the first 65 hours... and I was absolutely baffled as to why. It wasn't a major issue for me since I have Hobbs functionality on my GRT system. So Alan and I one day decided to tackle the problem. Wiring seemed correct - the switch was working and it was getting 12 volts. We left it overnight without resolution because everything seemed correct.

The next day Alan came by and said try switching the terminals on the back of the Hobbs unit. Wouldn't you know... it started working right away! So the one I have is sensitive to which side gets 12V.

Polarity

Scott,
Thanks for the tip. I will make a point to check mine early on!
Ward

Why have a hobbs?

Scott, your post makes me wonder, since I am also going to have the GRT, why do you have a hobbs? As you mentioned, you already have that capability without another hole in the panel.

because...

7pilot said:
Scott, your post makes me wonder, since I am also going to have the GRT, why do you have a hobbs? As you mentioned, you already have that capability without another hole in the panel.

The Hobbs is mechanical. It won't lose the count if it fails. It does not need to be shipped away with other problems in the panel. It is a given.

The hobbs can be mounted under the panel or in the glove box. It can even be just tied off to the wire loom. It is the cheapest and most reilable time in service gauge that you can get. NAPA auto parts has em. They are used on most all equipment that needs to be serviced.

Warren