Colin McG

I love the travel stories. The Turks and Caicos, the Bahamas, the skeleton coast of Namibia. Exotic locations, continually bathed in beautiful VFR weather, that make you want to keep pounding those rivets. To this distinguished list I would like to add, and I can see that this might seem a surprising choice, Portsmouth, Ohio. Why Portsmouth? Well, as one of my earth bound colleagues, in a rather Yoda like moment, told me, “it’s not the destination, it’s the journey”. I smiled weakly when he said this while secretly wanting to smack him as he’d hadn’t just spent two days watching the rain pour down from the confines of an FBO.

A fellow EAA member is lovingly building a Cozy and over a glass of wine one evening it was suggested we go to the annual canard fly-in at Rough River, Ohio. Now Phil is on year 18 of his build so the initial suggestion that the Cozy would be ready for this year’s event was perhaps the result of a little too much Shiraz. However, not long after the initial discussion I started flying Andrew Phillips RV7A and we suddenly had our means of getting to Rough River (or so we thought).

Rough River, being south of the border, meant the dreaded eAPIS so I dutifully completed the on-line application and had my activation code returned soon after. A computer problem then deleted all the recent applications, so I had to reapply, but it doesn’t take too long. If we wanted to come back, which was the original plan, we’d also need the Canadian CANPASS-AIR if we wanted to land back at our home base of Carp (CYRP) rather than an airport of entry. This was more problematic as it can’t be done on-line and, by the time we left, Phil’s was still in the post.

To ease the border crossing AOPA/COPA have a great document that describes the process of making what it describes as “the easiest international” flight that a recreational flyer can make”. Seems a little Ironic that for such an easy flight it’s a 159 pages long but well worth the read.

The day before departure dawned and the forecast for the following day was awful. Most of the evening was spent searching websites to find the most optimistic weather forecast for the next couple of days. The Ottawa weather looked great but it promised rain in Rough River. We agreed to speak early the next morning and then make a final go/no go decision. The next morning the forecasts were not quite so bleak, or we just read them more optimistically, and we decided to launch. That meant everything got a little rushed as I had to complete the eAPIS on-line arrival report, phone Watertown Customs and Border Protection, file a flight plan and pack my socks.

We loaded the RV and disaster almost struck before we’d even got in the aircraft. Phil’s a reasonably large chap and while he was standing on the wing, loading his bag, I also jumped onto the wing. The aircraft slowly raised its nose and scraped the rudder just as I jumped off. Note to self – only one person on the wing root at any one time!

Loading at Carp
26722709.jpg

Cozy builder in RV!
Cozy%20builder%20in%20RV.JPG

We left Carp on schedule, which is important because you cannot land in the US early and you can’t be more than 15 minutes late. Radio contact was established with Ottawa Terminal for flight following but just south of Ottawa they told us to “resume own navigation”. With no hand over given we were minutes from the US border, travelling at 200 mph and not talking to anyone. The F16s were probably already airborne. A call back to Ottawa and the suggestion was to call Montreal Centre. A few minutes with them and then we were handed to SAC for entry into the US. The border lies along the St. Lawrence River and the very picturesque “Thousand Islands” with Watertown just 10 RV minutes to the south. The GPS indicated we would be early so we throttled back and I then made a greaser of a landing. Sadly they deteriorated from that point on.

Crossing the Canada/US Border
St%20Lawrence%20River.JPG

Three large, well armed Customs and Border Protection Officers met us on arrival and were more interested in the RV than us. We were asked if we had “anything to declare” and, as Rough River is in a dry county, I had felt the need to bring along a dozen cans of cold Canadian beer.

We left Watertown and were soon cruising at 8,500’ above well broken cloud. Shine on you Crazy Diamond was playing through the headphones and we were in aircraft heaven. Before long we’d be in Rough River drinking cold Canadians. What more could we ask for?

Cambridge, Ohio was our planned fuel stop and 2 hours later we pulled up to the pumps and the very reasonably priced gas. The aircraft was running great and we were soon airborne and climbing back to 8,500’. Unfortunately we weren’t at 8,500’ for long as the cloud was getting lower so we settled on 6,500. That didn’t last long either and soon we were at 2,000 feet with a worsening view ahead. We dodged around a bit but the trees were not far below (beautiful falls colours!) and the terrain was pretty inhospitable. We crossed the Ohio River but soon decided that the best place for us was safely on the ground at the closest possible airport. The “page” button on the AVMAP was getting a lot of use and it indicated that Portsmouth, Ohio was 20 miles over our right shoulders. I wheeled around, keeping below the scud and within minutes Portsmouth “36” was on the nose. A couple of squeaks, not from the tyres but from various muscles unclenching, and we were down. Little did we realise how long it would be before we got airborne again.

Finals for Cambridge
Finals%20for%20Cambridge.JPG

In the Cruise
In%20the%20cruise.JPG

Weather Diversion
Diversion%20time.JPG

Chasteen Aviation is the local FBO and we can’t thank them enough for the hospitality they showed us. It was late afternoon, the weather was getting worse, we were not where we wanted to be and it was 20 miles to town. The concept of courtesy cars is something I’ve only ever read about and I’ve never seen one in Canada. If I’d asked to borrow the car when I was living in the UK they would have been looking out of the window for my spaceship. Chasteen kindly offered us the use of their car and, although the novelty wore off as soon as Phil tried the brakes, it got us into town.

Part 2 to follow.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hotel California - Part 2

I woke early the next morning but I couldn?t get back to sleep as all I could think about was the weather. I was torn between trying to doze a little longer and wanting to peel back the curtains. I should have stayed in bed as when I did get up you could barely see the car across the car park. The rain was pouring down and the mist was rising from the trees. We drove back to the airport and started looking at forecasts on the laptop we?d brought with us. It didn?t look promising and we knew that if we didn?t get out by 6pm we?d have no option but to miss Rough River and head back to Canada the following day. Our deadline came and then we started receiving e-mails that they were flying at Rough River. Chasteen were kind enough to let us put the RV in their hanger and downtrodden we got back in the car and headed once again for a hotel and beer.

Killing time in Portsmouth
Killing%20time%20in%20Portsmouth%20Ohio.JPG

Sunday morning and I could see stars! Fantastic, soon we?d be heading back home. The optimism was short lived as once we got outside we could see the mist was clinging to hillsides. We arrived at the FBO by 8 and we started to see breaks in the cloud. It soon looked flyable so we activated our eAPIS departure (online) and then called Canadian customs to tell them we would be in Windsor later than morning. We launched at 9.00 and activated our flight plan. By 9.10 we were back under the scud with no visible route north. I was getting good at immediate course reversals and for the second time in 3 days the runway at Portsmouth appeared out of the gloom.

Sunday Morning
Sunday%20Morning.JPG

We called Canadian customs and told them we wouldn?t be arriving after all and that we?d call again if we got any closer. After 2 hours there were blue patches and, as the controller during our earlier flight had said it looked better to the West, we decided that we?d try for Springfield, Illinois. We were airborne again at 11:00 and it wasn?t too long before we had Springfield in sight. With no flight plan and no customs clearance we knew we?d have to land somewhere so we decided to head north and try for Sandusky (KSKY) on the south shore of Lake Erie. With 30 miles to run we looked to be home and dry but once again the weather forced us lower and lower until we had no option but to 180 it back, press the Page button and head for Port Bucyrus (K17G).

Initially the airfield looked deserted but we were soon greeted and made very welcome. It wasn?t long before the weather at Windsor looked like it was OK so we called Canadian customs. I got through to the same officer with whom I?d spoken to earlier and he kindly relaxed the 2 hour notification when he knew where we were. We filed our international flight plan and were soon heading north towards the lake. The weather improved and we crossed into Canadian airspace at 3,500 overhead Pelee Island before turning left for Windsor, Ontario.

We landed on Windsor?s 9,000? long runway 25 and my 12 unopened cans of Canadian were soon cleared by Customs! We knew the weather in Ottawa wasn?t great but we had 2 hours to fly so we decided we?d get as close to home as possible. Soon after takeoff we were back at 3,500? and routing north of London and Toronto towards the MANS VOR. A more southerly route looked possible so we got clearance from Toronto to transit their zone and I started to dial in the Lake Simcoe VOR into the Avmap. The RV was bouncing around and I was toggling up and down trying to find YSD in the database. It wasn?t in the database because we were trying to input the wrong name, it was YSO, when suddenly the Avmap toggle switch flew through the air and landed down by the rudder pedals! This left me having to aim us in the general direction rather than following the course line but at least the map still worked.

Passing Lake Simcoe
Passing%20Lake%20Simcoe.JPG

As was becoming somewhat predictable it wasn?t long before the weather started to deteriorate and we routed north, along the lake, dodging rain showers. With only 25 minutes to run to Carp (CYRP) the route ahead was blocked and we?d had enough recent experience to know when to call it a day so once again we turned back the way we?d come and headed to Bancroft (CNW3). The airfield at Bancroft is very picturesque but that comes at the expense of being surrounded by hills and trees. It?s also relatively short, narrow, covered in loose gravel and to cap it all there was stiff crosswind. I was faster than I?d have liked as I added few knots for the trees and had only partial flap because of the crosswind. I needn?t have worried and we were soon down and stopped well short. So glad I was in an RV.

Abandoned at Bancroft
Tied%20down%20at%20Bancroft.JPG

As we sat in the aircraft patches of blue began to appear and it was tempting to think we could wait it out and still get to Ottawa before sunset. Bancroft was deserted so we made some calls home but Ottawa still wasn?t VFR so we solemnly secured the aircraft and started walking into town. Another hotel, another couple of beers and another early morning wake-up wondering what the weather would bring. Surprise, surprise it brought rain and more rain. At this point it could have rained frogs and I wouldn?t have been surprised. It was Monday, we both should have been at work and now I faced the prospect of having to abandon the aircraft. By early afternoon we had accepted defeat and were in a rental car heading home. Twenty five minutes by RV, two and a half hours by Saturn!

On the Tuesday it rained all day but Wednesday looked flyable. We left early for the long drive back to Bancroft and by 10 we were in the aircraft ready to depart. Although the forecast was VFR we?d driven through some poor weather on the way down and the flight back wasn?t the smooth run we?d hoped for. Soon after take off the route was blocked so we headed north, towards the Ottawa valley, before resuming course for Carp. The visibility was good under the clouds and before long we had Carp in sight. Still, the weather gods had not completely finished with us and we had another stiff 90 degree crosswind to contend with. If I?d called to say I was landing in the other direction I?m sure the windsock would have swung round 180 degrees. Finally, after 6 days, the weekend trip was complete and I knew I?d be able to sleep that night not having to worry about the weather.

We certainly learnt a lot and if I can offer any travel tips they would be as follows. 1) Take a laptop. Invaluable for confirming that the bad weather is indeed right overhead and all the good weather is everywhere else. 2) Take a SPOT or something similar. Despite keyboard difficulties (don?t ask) this was a great comfort to those watching from home. Do remember not to turn it off immediately the aircraft is shut down as there is a possibility that it hasn?t transmitted since you landed and it can look like you augured in short of the airfield. This tends to panic friends, loved ones and the aircraft owner. 3) Take a phone and a charger. Leave messages to say everything is OK even if no one picks up the phone. I learnt the hard way! 4) Be mindful of weather radar and that it only shows precipitation. Just because it?s not raining it doesn?t mean the cloud isn?t at ground level.

In hindsight my Jedi fiend was of course correct and while we didn?t get to where we wanted to go we had a lot of fun, met some great folks and gained some valuable flying experience.

Neat story...

....and some good lessons on knowing when to land and wait....great life-saving decisions.....and thanks.

BTW, that airplane looks really pi$$ed that it's not in the air yet!!

Regards,

Great write-up of a somewhat disappointing adventure. Glad you had fun. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Colin,

Welcome to Portsmouth! I have the only RV (9A) based at Portsmouth (KPMH). Unfortunately I did not know you were here otherwise I would be glad to give you a tour of the city and keep you entertained while in town. Yes, the weather was terrible that weekend. We were planning to go to a fly-in at Lee Bottom Airport (Indiana) and it was cancelled due to the same weather.

We were in Carp a year ago, stayed with Alfio and Shirley. They visited us later too. It is indeed a small world. For those who don't know KPMH, it is six miles north of Ohio River with a 5,000' runway and an on field restaurant. If anyone need help while at KPMH, just give me a call at (740) 981-2240.

p.s. One correction, your fly-in was at Rough River, Kentucky (not Ohio).

Sorry you did not make it down to Rough River. Although the turn out was low this year, we had a great time. My wife & I tried to fly down from Indiana in a spam can, but also had to turn back because of weather. We were able to drive down.

Maybe Phil's cozy will be able to fly down next year. I've heard him tell of some of the innovative things he has done. I look forward to seeing it.

I do hate to brake this news too you. But you wouldn't have even come close for the person who traveled the farthest to Rough River. A good friend and Long EZ builder from Australia came over for the fly-in. tough break :)