Nice!

Technical curiosity though - I'll bet that unless the cooling system was modified, that engine runs quite hot. It would be like a continuous climb.

I was working on my RV-6 in my hangar at Eugene when Trey made the first flight. He stayed over the airport for a while. The airplane looked to be going 150 mph or so in cruise flight. That should be fast enough to cool it. It didn't sound to me like he was working it hard.

Cooling

Keeping the IO390 cool is proving to be a challenge. There is a large NACA duct on the rhs lower cowling ducting air to a Stewart Warner 13 row cooler, temps were a little high yesterday, seems the pressure in the cowl is a little high & all the air can't get out. Bob is right about the speed - 150 mph in s & l.

Is that Wally Anderson

on the bow?If it is it looks like he traded-up on his boat!And who's plane is that anyway,I dont remember anyone at the shop building a 7 on floats...is that yours Stephen?Man, that lake was a refreshing break last August..I hope its not really 100 degrees AGAIN this year,that was a real melter last summer.Harland.

Last edited:
N57 OZ said:
Keeping the IO390 cool is proving to be a challenge. There is a large NACA duct on the rhs lower cowling ducting air to a Stewart Warner 13 row cooler, temps were a little high yesterday, seems the pressure in the cowl is a little high & all the air can't get out. Bob is right about the speed - 150 mph in s & l.

Stephen

Check out the louvers on shopatp.com They seem to solve some cooling issue on other 7s and the 10 Alex has had some real good luck with the 10 while doing flight training.