Shine'r

anyone ever have any concern about putting the breather oil on the exhaust pipe? I've done it for quite a while without a problem but was just thinking -- hot oil -- hot pipe -- after shut down no air blowing out the cowl -- somebody reassure me there is no problem.......
Thanks.
Shine'r......... Sunny Warm Pittsburgh, Pa.

This is a standard practice that's been done for many years. The pipe is not that hot at this point.

Two critical temperatures apply:

Flash Point - The temperature at which a liquid will give off vapors that will burn with an ignition source.

Autoignition temperature - No ignition source needed.

The Flash on most motor oils that I can find data on is over 400 degrees F.

Autoignition temps are harder to find, but seem to be in the over 800 degree range.

nor worries

Shine'r said:
anyone ever have any concern about putting the breather oil on the exhaust pipe? I've done it for quite a while without a problem but was just thinking -- hot oil -- hot pipe -- after shut down no air blowing out the cowl -- somebody reassure me there is no problem.......
Thanks. Shine'r......... Sunny Warm Pittsburgh, Pa.
Per previous post mostly oily water. The volume is very small and thousands have flown with no issue. Also oil does not flash like gas.

you may be surprised to find out how fast the exhaust cools after shutdown-much quicker than the rest of the engine. No worries!