Cadstat

Well Known Member
Who knows the fool proof way to restart a hot IO Lycoming? I can do it every time after a fashion but I hate grind the **** out of the starter and even my new battery often starts to loose some enthusiasm for the task just before it fires.

you will find many threads on the hot start issue using the search function.
Hit the search function, advanced search, searchtitles only, and put hot start in the terms. You will see lots of good info in there.

I start mine the same - hot or cold. I have an IO-360A1A with bendix and show of sparks mags (bendix) - your mileage may vary.

Everything full forward - prime for 3-4 seconds
Throttle cracked, mixture ICO
Went it starts to catch, ease the mix to rich

Good luck finding your combination. If you are having issues, you might check your timing and all the ignition components.

thanks

Thanks Kahuna. I never tried the advanced search. It seems many have the throttle wide open on the prime. I always have is 1/4 open.

My method that works for me

boost pump off
Throttle open 1/4"
mags on
crank
When it catches, full rich. I have found that waiting until the engine starts to die, then full rich, works better for me.
If the idle is rough, boost pump on.

An important point, in some of the above, I have recently found with an Extra 300 (IO-540) that has started having hot start issues (and not just with me!):
When it catches, full rich. I have found that waiting until the engine starts to die, then full rich, works better for me.
and
Went it starts to catch, ease the mix to rich
We found a broken spring in the impulse, and now seems better, but I did learn the "slowly" mix to rich, not ram it forward when it fires which seems to kill it :mad:

Andy
RV-8 G-HILZ
RV8tors

FI hot starts..

FI Hot starts are premised on the engine is already flooded due to fuel vaporization while setting.

The secret is to treat it first as flooded, therefore:
Mixture at Idle cutoff,
Fuel pp ON
Throttle wide open
Ignition ON
Crank until it fires ( won't take but a few blades)
Mixture RICH and Throttle OUT (be fast about it)

If it won't fire, assume NOT flooded, then push Mixture in just enough to give it some fuel.

Works without fail Honest!

Kinda what Mike says works for me. Generally the engine will be flooded prior to start.

Mixture ICO
Throttle 1/4-1/2 open
As it catches, push the mixture rich.

If this doesn't work after two tries, then flood the engine by mixture rich, throttle full, boost pump on for a few seconds. Then start as above. Purposefully flooding the engine before starting also works if you have sat for, say, an hour or so and are unsure whether the engine should be hot or cold started.

YMMV,
greg

An important point, in some of the above, I have recently found with an Extra 300 (IO-540) that has started having hot start issues (and not just with me!):
and We found a broken spring in the impulse, and now seems better, but I did learn the "slowly" mix to rich, not ram it forward when it fires which seems to kill it :mad:

Andy
RV-8 G-HILZ
RV8tors

Agree. slowly. Actually, I never go full rich. Just about half way.

It's going to vary quite a bit from airplane to airplane, depending on how the cabling is set up. On my 172 with IO360, a hotstart (such as after a fuelstop) is lean cutoff, wide open throttle, crank, on first cylinder hit mix full rich and throttle back, usually catches right at 800 RPM, about 4 seconds crank time total. Each engine will be different, it took me a while to get this one figured out.

What Mike said....assuming it's a rich thing and all else is okay

I flew an IO360 Cardinal 200HP before I started building and Mike's startup procedure worked every time. Without the throttle (butterfly) open, it just wouldn't start hot. needs air.....When it starts (and it will) just go to rich at a reasonable speed and get the throttle back the same way. Used to fly a lot of Young Eagle rally's with it and it never failed.

IO540C4B5 in RV-10

It's a B*&^%$ to start hot, but the most consistent way for our particular engine is to leave everything where it was when shut down (Throttle closed, mixture idle cut-off) ----- start cranking and after (several) blades, start easing the mixture forward ---- just before full-rich, it will usually fire off.

If the boss wasn't trying to sell the airplane, I would probably install a Slick-start to (maybe) help a little.

Ron