Chris Newbe

I'm New Here
I have a Harmon Rocket and the IO540 heater in the front makes me sweat every time I fly. My a&p has suggested there are two types of extra cooling available, a "Pitts" type rectangular U shaped simple vent and a rotating circular design. Help please, which is the better system. Oh BTW, I have a throw over canopy. I sure do love my Rocket and hate to cut another hole in her.
Thank you for your help,
Chris

Chris, I used to live SW of CLT, and for a few years had my plane based at XFL. I am now based at 28J. We should mee @ Hijackers for lunch sometime!!

For on-the-ground cooling, i'd suggest asking other throw-over canopy owners for details of their intermediate canopy lock. Many people have added a lock that holds the canopy open about 2" and apparently that gives a *lot* of airflow on the ground for cooling.

For airborne cooling, I find the NACA ducts in the side of the fuselage work well on the RV-6... Coupled with a scat tube and a 2" eyeball vent I can get some pretty good airflow in the summer. The only way it could be better is if I could get air from further away from the engine... I suspect even air flowing down the fuselage has been heated by the engine. A NACA duct in the bottom of a wing, about 1/3 of the way out the span, and ducted back to the cockpit, maybe?

Rob is correct when he says that the air near the fuselage may be hotter than ambient. On my Rocket the front seat draws air from NACA scoops on the fuselage sides. The rear seat air comes from a NACA vent under the wing, about 2' out. The front air is usually about 12 degree F hotter than the air coming in the back.

So, for cooler air, draw it from somewhere other than around the fuselage if possible.

I insulated the firewall on my Rocket, both sides. It was a foot roasting beast until I did that.