danielabernath

Well Known Member
As you may recall, the A&P man at Page Field put too much oil into RV 262WS and it spilled hot oil over the front wheel pant and burned the paint. Dripping oil and gasoline as the tip of gascolator was damaged/wore out. So I got top and bottom cowling off (I am also back from 2 days of Lockwood Course for Rotax and feel much better about where things are and how to do things.
NOW THE REST OF THE STORY...
I immediately see that fuel hoses are deformed from h
IMG_3847.JPG
eat.
I see now that there is a crink in one hose.
I see that the builder (not me) had an issue with the front hose and did a jury-rigged repair and put a plumbers bracket it on it that snapped from the heat and/or pressure.
****! Here are the pictures. What is your assessment?
IMG_3846.JPG
IMG_3849.JPG
[/IMG][/IMG]

The orange stuff is firesleeve. It is a protective cover over the hoses. On curves, it exhibits the wrinkling you see. That is not any sort of indication of the condition of the hoses sleeved in the firesleeve.

You probably need to take a deeper look into the foil clamped onto the hose. No telling what's going on there.

Do you know any local active RV builders or fliers? You would do well to have one or more of them spend an hour or so with you just poking around your airplane and discussing what you see.

Last edited:
The orange stuff is firesleeve. It is a protective cover over the hoses. On curves, it exhibits the wrinkling you see. That is not any sort of indication of the condition of the hoses sleeved in the firesleeve.

You probably need to take a deeper look into the foil clamped onto the hose. No telling what's going on there.

Do you know any local active RV builders or fliers? You would do well to have one or more of them spend an hour or so with you just poking around your airplane and discussing what you see.

I thinking of flying and/or trailering it to Lockwood in Sebring Florida to give it the once over.

center of the universe principle

If the Portland where you live is in Oregon, and you fly it all the way to FL for inspection, there probably aren't any issues with the plane.
;-)
Joking aside,

The shot of the foil wrapped around the firesleeve with what looks like soot on the firesleeve and a burned-through hose clamp looks like a really bad exhaust leak. That really could be [edit: really IS] serious. There's nothing wrong with using foil as a radiant barrier, though it's more effective if there's an air gap between the foil & what it's protecting. But the burned-through hose clamp didn't happen from just radiant heat.

Charlie

Rubbed Hose

That hose (and clamp) looks like it got rubbed against the exhaust pipe and wore through so it probably just needs to be secured away from the exhaust. Maybe that's what the broken bracket was intended to do.

You can also buy small exhaust shields that clamp on the exhaust pipe itself if you need a better heat shield once the hose is secured.

Andy

The hoses themselves are fine - the orange covering is just firesleeve that is loose in the middle, should be clamped on each end, and typically bunches up in the curves - what you are seeing there is normal.

The hose clamp and burn marks now, that's a different story. That needs immediate attention.