Steve, you definitely need to put a grommet in there. Look in the Aircraft Spruce catalog - you'll find something big enough. FWIW, my prop governer hose goes DOWN, through the baffle at the front, and routes around underneath the cylinders.

Good luck.

Baffle Penetration

Steve...

I also ran my oil line for the prop governor over the top of the engine much like you have except more along the crankcase split line (center). I used an AN rubber grommet through the back baffle with red RTV to close the hole. There has been no noticeable chaffing within about 50 hours after retrofitting a constant speed prop. TT is 250 hrs. I was concerned with the oil getting too cold in Minnesota winter flying so I used fire sleeve as an insulator. This has not been a problem however and may not be necessary.

Dick DeCramer
RV6 N500DD
RV8 wing
Northfield, MN

What is the correct way of taking a hose through the rear baffle wall. I cant find an SB Bushing large enough in the VANS catalogue......Thanks,
Steve,

If I could not locate a suitable grommet or snap bushing, I would use a type of flexible edging...the same stuff used on F-15's. It is available in a few sizes and widths. The first photo shows two different types of flexible edging. For your particular application I would bond the edging into place with red RTV. The squeeze out of RTV between the teeth of the edging makes for a particularily strong bond. I didn't use RTV on the upper tower lightening hole in the second photo because the edging is held firmly in place on its own sort of "spring loaded" but for a FWF application, RTV would be prudent, even mandatory....just as such edging on F-15's are routinely installed.

Last edited: