ditch

Well Known Member
I started the hs this morning and got all the way to drilling the hs. When I got to the part where you cleco on the 601pp skin, the outside holes lined up but when I looked at the center line that runs length wise, the holes in the skin were exactly in the middle of the holes in the front spar. Not even close. I still have everything clecod together and have been following the book letter for letter. This is the first snag and it looks like a big one. Any idea what's wrong? Also, when I put on the hs-404 and hs 405 ribs, I drilled them so that the outside flange lined up the way the plans show. Pretty much on the bend line. Is that right? I looked at it for a long time trying to figure out where it goes and thats what a friend of mine and I came up with. Seems logical, hopefully I was right. Oh ya, is that skin really that hard to rap on the ribs. Any tricks to the trade?

Oops, just looked it over again and saw I had the outside rib flange inwards, should of been outwards. Newbee mistake, but atleast I caught it. I would still like some info on the other part where the hs 404 and hs 405 are supposed to attach to the front spar is someone has a minute. Thanks

Ditch, I just aligned HS-404 and HS-405 flanges (the long ones) with the edge of the skin as best as possible - wherever this put my short flanges that attach to the front spar is where I drilled them.

DaX said:
Ditch, I just aligned HS-404 and HS-405 flanges (the long ones) with the edge of the skin as best as possible - wherever this put my short flanges that attach to the front spar is where I drilled them.
I drilled the ribs and clecoed them before I should have I guess. I interpreted the directions as doing so, guess I was wrong. When I got the skin on the right way, I see that the flange sticks out past the skin about 1/8 inch in a 3 to 4 inch span. I can push the rib in enough to get most straight with the skin but was wondering if I could just trim off the little bit that is beyond the skin. Is it going go be in the way if I leave it out or should I remove it? Also when you attach it to the fuselage, will it interfere with anything? I just want to know if its going to be alright or do I have to move the ribs to lay perfectly flush with the skin. I'll push it over as good as I can and drill it as long as its going to be alright down the road. Any ideas?

65200503un8.jpg
This is what I was describing. I can get the back to line up because the holes weren't drilled yet but the front spar I did. Should I just push the rib over as far as I can and drill them or slightly and file the rest off? Or should I just leave the flange hanging out. Looks like **** if I leave it exposed.

Last edited:
Maybe someone else can comment, but I think it will be fine hanging out - the fairing will cover it.

Ya, thats what vans said to. I just wanted to make sure it didn't interfere with anything coming up through the space. My luck it would . Everything else was coming along perfectly, kinda makes me mad to make a mistake so early in the ball game. Hopefully it will be the last.