gator05301

I'm New Here
Trying to align the horizontal stabilizer for mounting. Need to move the assembly a bit more to Starboard but can’t due to interference between rear deck and right side elevator horn. Only fix I can see is to trim the rear deck a bit to give me more clearance. Is this a common need or am I missing something here?IMG_5906.jpeg

I don't remember having to remove material on the side. I have plenty of side clearance. I only had to remove material in the rear for the elevator stop. If you need a smidgen of clearance, I don't think it will hurt anything.

Trying to align the horizontal stabilizer for mounting. Need to move the assembly a bit more to Starboard but can’t due to interference between rear deck and right side elevator horn. Only fix I can see is to trim the rear deck a bit to give me more clearance. Is this a common need or am I missing something here?

It does get tight side to side, I wouldn't be surprised if some variances in horns mean some have to trim the cut out. Check with Van's of course. You will probably be trimming the ends of the cut out for the stops anyway.

Attachments

• IMG_6626.jpeg
    IMG_6626.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 9
Trying to align the horizontal stabilizer for mounting. Need to move the assembly a bit more to Starboard but can’t due to interference between rear deck and right side elevator horn. Only fix I can see is to trim the rear deck a bit to give me more clearance. Is this a common need or am I missing something here?View attachment 66741
In the photo it appears that the orange clamp on the right may be bearing against the horn, so I would check that. Are the horns the correct distance apart where the rod end fits in between?

The recess in the deck for the horns is 2.00 inches wide on my -6A and should be the same on the -8 I would think because of the common parts, so that is another dimension to check before modifying anything.

I had the same problem with elevator horns interfering with aft deck. I contacted Vans’s Aircraft and was told trimming aft deck is approved solution.