Neil,

Not a very good photo, but you can see that my stop is almost flush with the edge of the top deck. I wish I had slightly more to work with, my down travel ended up being about .5 degrees more than what I wanted.

If I was in your shoes I'd trim about a 1/4 inch maybe slightly more off and see what that gives you. You can always take more off if need be.

Mine looks just like Nate's. I would DEFINITELY call Van's about this. Also, a good lesson for everyone to make sure you check the angles of deflection on your flight controls.

Nate:
From your photo it appears you are not using a quick build fuselage? I assumed this because of the clecos in the rear of the spacer where mine was already riveted in from Vans. When you fabricated the spacer did you make the aft end of the spacer 3/4" as per the plans? From my photo you can see my quick build spacer is 1/2" longer than specified in the plans

It would not be a big deal to trim it and it appears if I did everything would fit. If I only trim 1/4 inch the Horizontal Stabilizer Attach Bars would still not be flush with the rear Horizontal Stabilizer Spar. I do not believe the spacer is suppose to be a stop.

From your photo it appears you are not using a quick build fuselage? From my photo you can see my quick build spacer is 1/2" longer than specified in the plans. It would not be a big deal to trim it and it appears if I did everything would fit. If I only trim 1/4 inch the Horizontal Stabilizer Attach Bars would still not be flush with the rear Horizontal Stabilizer Spar. I do not believe the spacer is suppose to be a stop.

You are correct, mine is a slow build and I did fab the stop/spacer as per the plans with a 3/4" deep aft end. I do, however, wish mine was slightly deeper. As is, the elevator horns actually bottom out on the flange of the rear spar and not the stop/spacer itself.

You may have to trim more than the 1/4"+ that I originally suggested, and you may end up looking just like mine, but you will have more to play with and thus more wiggle room to set your down angle to exactly what's called for.