skyking902001

Well Known Member
Plans show a 5/8" hole in the 702 front spar. If you are planning on electric trim, do you still need a hole? I have not made a decision on whether manual or electric (don't want to start another thread of pros & cons), but I would like to know what others have done here--both for electric and manual. Thanks in advance.

Skyking 902001
RV8
Working on Emp.

Plans show a 5/8" hole in the 702 front spar. If you are planning on electric trim, do you still need a hole? I have not made a decision on whether manual or electric (don't want to start another thread of pros & cons), but I would like to know what others have done here--both for electric and manual. Thanks in advance.

Skyking 902001
RV8
Working on Emp.

I have electric, and still drilled the hole. It takes about 20 seconds with the step drill bit, and gives me the option in the future to go to manual if I wanted to.

Electric Trim?

What have some of you done in this area if you are using electric trim? Drill a smaller hole, skip the hole all together, or other options?

Skyking 902001 :confused:

I'm doing the same thing

All I can tell you is that I just did the same thing last week, mainly because the plans show it in the diagram. I thought that perhaps this hole is still used to route the wiring for the electric trim motor, which I am also planning to use. I also questioned if it needed to be so large, but I went ahead and drilled it with the step drill anyway.

If you do decide to drill it with the step drill, as others have stated, it goes very fast, so be careful. It took me about 10 seconds to drill mine I think.

Drilled It!

Right or wrong, I have a very nice 5/8" hole in the spar per the plans. Still not sure about which trim system--suppose when I start the left elevator something will have to be decided.

Skyking902001
RV8
Emp.