UnPossible

Well Known Member
Hey - I think I may have run into my first major mistake. Last weekend I mounted the Horizontal stab, measured 100 times and then drilled the holes.

However, I'm not sure what happened, but when I took off the clamps and mounted it with bolts, it appears to have shifted to the left by 1/16 to 1/8 of an inch.

102s383.jpg

Note the angle of the camera makes it look worse than it is.

Any ideas as to the best way to fix this. I was thinking about moving up to an AN4 bolt, as the edge clearance looks good and the larger hole should eliminate the misalignment.

Any other ideas, or should I just live with this?

Thanks,
Jason

IF adequate edge clearance, and...

If using an AN4 bolt will allow you to get a good set of holes that line up, and you have adequate edge clearance, then I would think this a perfectly appropriate fix.

However, actually drilling a good 1/4 hole at this point may be tricky. I would not assume that simply running a 1/4 drill through those holes is going to lead to good holes with proper alignment. if the parts moved the first time, they will surely move again when the drill tries to fight through the mis-aligned holes.

If you are REALLY sure that there will be good edge clearance, then I would start by hand filing the holes to bring them into alignment and reasonably round. Then, finally clean them up with a 1/4 drill and/or reamer.

Others may have alternative approaches, or disagree with mine, but that's what I would do.

Steve's method is pretty standard. I use it often, and it works!
I might add, if you can get an AN3 bolt in the original holes, insert one and tighten it. This will help hold everything in alignment while working the other hole to the new diameter. Then when the new hole is up to 1/4", insert a bolt there to hold everything while you work the first hole.

Last edited: