MatthewD

I plan on buying a IO-360 clone and I'm trying to get a little background info on the different types of horizontal induction systems. I don't like the looks of the scoop on the bottom cowl and I am trying to get away from having to use it unless there is some very compelling reason to go that route. I also realize that fuel injection will cost alot more money.

I like the looks and all of the new Ryton sump that is soon to be released, but I'm kinda gun-shy about them because they are so new..........so I'm looking for alternatives.

Superior makes the Ryton Sump, and Lycoming has their version.......are there any others?

Or should I forget about H.I. and learn to live with the scoop? :D

Aero aluminum sump

Mathew, have your engine assembler get pricing on an Aero aluminum sump and induction tubes. After my Ryton sump broke, I made the choice to go with the Aero cast aluminum sump. The folks at America's Aircraft Engines :D came through for me and found one. Make sure you order the exhaust system for the Lyc M1B engine. I'm quite happy with this setup, it's a fwd facing, cold air sump. Weight is about 7 lbs heavier than the Ryton sump...but it won't break and Van's install kit for the mixture/throttle brackets will bolt right up on it.

How about magnesium!

Aerosport power had a new magnesium forward facing sump at Oshkosh this year. I have their previous model made from aluminum. I believe that the magnesium sump has some additional improvements.

I have the same sump that Bob has, the AERO, from AERO, Inc. in Granite City, IL. They are an ECI dealer for kit engines so you can get their information from the ECI site.
I bought the entire engine kit through them, including the sump and fuel system. They provided the Bendix set up, using the Performance Air boost pump, as sold by VAN's. I do not need a fuel return line. Over 100 hours and all is well.
I would recommend them.

MatthewD said:
I plan on buying a IO-360 clone and I'm trying to get a little background info on the different types of horizontal induction systems. I don't like the looks of the scoop on the bottom cowl and I am trying to get away from having to use it unless there is some very compelling reason to go that route. I also realize that fuel injection will cost alot more money.

I like the looks and all of the new Ryton sump that is soon to be released, but I'm kinda gun-shy about them because they are so new..........so I'm looking for alternatives.

Superior makes the Ryton Sump, and Lycoming has their version.......are there any others?

Or should I forget about H.I. and learn to live with the scoop? :D

Fuel injection is not necessarily a lot more money. It depends on what you want. I ordered an updraft IO-360 with Silverhawk injection from Superior a couple of months ago. The price premium compared to a carb was $300. Obviously if you find a used engine and rebuild it yourself, or you go with one of the forward facing sumps, the price could be different. Could be much more, or much less...

Thanks guys, this is just the info I was looking for. I expect delivery of the rest of my kit mid December and didn't want to get backed into a corner of using the smooth cowl if there were no desirable H.I. systems as options.

Does anyone have any pics of the Aero system? Maybe even the air filter location and setup?

Good thread

Sounds like if I wanted to go with ECI IO-360 (which is my current thought), I could get the HI and then use the James Aircraft "Holy Cowl" ????

comments??

-Ron

rlo1 said:
Good thread

Sounds like if I wanted to go with ECI IO-360 (which is my current thought), I could get the HI and then use the James Aircraft "Holy Cowl" ????

comments??

-Ron

I too am looking hard at the James Cowl, and would like some opinons and whether or not you would use it again. :)

ECI

I checked into the ECI sump before going with the Aero, Inc. sump. ECi's is made of magnesium and has "cooling fins" integrated on the bottom. I was advised it was designed specifically for use with ECi's new fuel injection system and I'd have to fab "support brackets" to support either a Bendix or Airflow style fuel servo. When I pointed out that the fiberglass airbox would bolt onto the front of the fuel servo, I was told that the magnesium sump would still not support the weight of either servo...that scared me away.