prkaye

Well Known Member
For measuring the nosewheel breakout force, I understand that the fish scale has to be inline with the axis (the bolt through the center of the wheel). But I don't understand how the hook they have you fabricate is supposed to allow you to achieve this. I don't understand how you attach the hook.

The only method I have come up with is to wrap safety wire around the bolt that passes through the wheel, on each side, so that it is held down by the head of the bolt (or the nut on the other side). Does anybody have a photo of how the hook arrangement is supposed to work?

I think you are making this more complicated than it is. Just hook the scale to the axle hole & pull. If your scale won't fit use safety wire to make a loop. Go for 28-30 pounds, recheck it after 25-30 hours the first time.

Last edited:
Safety wire is what I used. I removed the wheel pant mounting brackett and
wrapped safety wire around the washer (on the late style wheel pant mount,
it is easy to attach the safety wire around the smaller washer next to the fork). Made a loop in the wire for the scale hook to fasten too. Simple and easy.

Just hook the scale to the hole & pull.

What hole? You mean take the wheel off, and use the hole that the bolt goes through? The other holes in hte fork aren't inline with the wheel axis.

I purchased a hardware store bolt (soft) and drilled a hole in the bolt head and also one near the end of the threads. I temporarily replaced the nose wheel AN bolt with the hw store bought one and performed the fish-scale measurement procedure that way.

Coat Hanger Wire

I made a "tool" of bent coat hanger wire that I pass through the opening where the tire goes between the forks, latch on itself with a bent end hook, hook the fish scale on the installed wire pull "tool" and pull. Take it off and repeat on the other side. The fist time the breakout force gets low and you let the nose down you will think the tire is blown. "A" pilots have been known to descretely wash there own drawers after the first occurrence. Check and retorque regularly early on because it goes low early in it operational life. Every annual after that has been good enough for me after the first year.

Bob Axsom

Take the wheel off and put a hook through the axle hole. This ain't rocket science. Also it is better to tighten it for a couple of pounds extra as it will loosen up a bit the first few hours. We did my friends at about 26lbs as I remember. Don

breakout

What hole? You mean take the wheel off, and use the hole that the bolt goes through? The other holes in hte fork aren't inline with the wheel axis.

Phil,
Just get a wire coat hanger, elongate the wire that you put your shirt on, take the hook end and from under the fork hook it over the axle. Bend a 90 degree angle under the fork to keep the hook on the axle. Put your fish scale on the elongated wire shirt hanger and pull. Repeat on other side, you'll probably find that right and left differ, split the difference for around 26lbs.
Mike H 9A/8A

Easier still.......

........is to use a socket on the nut or bolt head with an extension and press against it with a bathroom scale. Have a buddy read it.

Regards,

smart

Man, that is downright brilliant! I spent an hour screwing around with a coat hanger......
Chuck Olsen
RV-7A
TSP
........is to use a socket on the nut or bolt head with an extension and press against it with a bathroom scale. Have a buddy read it.

Regards,

PULL DOWN THE TAIL..... to get the nose wheel off of the ground.

Make an "L" hook and hook it in the hole in the wheel pant that you would install the tow bar, and then hook your scale to it.........DONE DEAL!!!!!!!!!!!

No buddy needed. Fish scale fits in your tool box or cabinet.

Make an "L" hook and hook it in the hole in the wheel pant

Ahhhhh!!! that explains it! This is meant to be done after the wheel pant is installed. Now I get why the plans have you make the hook in the shape they show on the drawing. So it's the wheel pant you're pulling on.
Thanks!!!

Yeah, but....

......the forward section of wheelpant has to be off in order to get at the nut so you can adjust the breakout force. That's why I like the bathroom scale approach. Twenty something pounds of pull on the thin fibreglass doesn't appeal to me.

Regards,

......the forward section of wheelpant has to be off in order to get at the nut so you can adjust the breakout force. That's why I like the bathroom scale approach. Twenty something pounds of pull on the thin fibreglass doesn't appeal to me.

Regards,

My hook has an "L" bend on both sides. That way, I'm only pulling half the load on each side of the fiberglass. :D

The hook kind of looks like a "T", and is made out of a hinge pin.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

Regards,

Now that is just plain cheating! Besides, I don't need to be any where near a bathroom scale! ;) And I don't fish anymore and I need to justify my fish scale! :D