grover

Well Known Member
a co-worker retailed a story about an acquaintance whose homeowner's policy was revoked (if that is the correct word) when the agent found he (the homeowner) had an RV project on the premises. What's going on there?

grover said:
a co-worker retailed a story about an acquaintance whose homeowner's policy was revoked (if that is the correct word) when the agent found he (the homeowner) had an RV project on the premises. What's going on there?
I'd wait for the first hand account before I would want to speculate...

That is hard to believe. Those turkey deep fat fryers are much more dangerous than an RV project. :D

Doubtful

Since a agent can not cancel a insurance policy, this wife's tail does not hold water. Only an underwritter at the company can cancel a policy.

A policy can be cancelled if the risk has materially increased since the inception of the policy. Storing flamable stuff in the garage, that is not normally found around the premises, does increase the risk so it could be considered grounds for canceling, on paper.

The underwritters I have talked to about this are not concerned. A little expoxy and paint is not much different than a can a gas for the lawn mower.

Keep your work area clean and make every effort to be safe and you will be OK.

I store my flammables in the backyard storage shed.

Regards,
Mike Stephenson

home insurance

Well said Mike!

I have heard a lot of tales over the years and there are very severe penalties that States impose if a policy is canceled without proper notice or procedure.

Always get the firsthand account and in writing if possible or assume it's an urban legend.

good thoughts

I'll likely never meet the man from whom this story originated, so who knows the facts. . . maybe it was the meth lab in his back yard . . .or ? ? ?

insurance problems

grover said:

I am one who has had my house insurance pulled for building a RV in my garage.

When I came back with my empenage from Van's in 2001, I phoned my insurance agent and asked to increase my content insurance as the plane progressed. Two months later he got back to me and said that the insurance carrier, Alliance of Canada, was not willing to do that. So I insured it with my aviation broker as a "kit in progress". Two months later I get a call from my home insurance agent saying that the insurance carrier is freaking out about a plane being built in my garage. I explained the details of aluminum and rivets, no welding, dangerous chemicals etc etc. I then got a registered letter in the mail giving me 15 days notice as they where pulling my home insurance. It was a very frustrating time in my life as nobody would listen to reason or common sense. I was not allowed to talk to the insurance carrier directly, only through the agent. After 14 days I finally found another carrier to insure my home. They were ok with a plane being built.

Now here is the stupid part of the whole deal........... Alliance of Canada pulls my home insurance because there is a plane being built in the garage. BUT this same insurance company( a subsidiary) is the insurance carrier of my kit in progress insurance through the aviation broker !!!!

I received numerous suggestions that I should not have told the insurance company about the plane being built, but I try to be an honest person with full disclosure regardless of the outcome. Just think if my house would have burned down and then they found about the plane - I think they could have denied the claim.

Oh well life goes on and the plane is flying now.

Wayne
C-GOYA
RV 7a

That's Canada for you

Wayne said:
I am one who has had my house insurance pulled for building a RV in my garage.

Wayne
C-GOYA
RV 7a

When it comes to Canada things are different. I learned this painfully when getting defrauded by a Canadian alternative engine manufacturer. The authorities were unwilling to listen to truth and facts. Despite MANY people having the same experience, nothing was done which allowed them to continue on the same path.

I would definitely take them to task on this issue.

Remember, Insurance agents are lawyers that didn't pass the Bar exam. :rolleyes:

home insurance

Wow,

It does sound different up there.

As for us agents, when in doubt I always recommend the customer get it in writing because we aren't really lawyers, even though some try to be, and the ultimate decision is always the carrier who does not allow us to change any of it's terms without written permission.

Come claim time saying that the "agent told me" doesn't mean anything to the carriers usually but if you have something in writing you have proof and can at least make a case for getting paid what you are owed.

I've seen too many cases of people getting bit without it.

I'm sure guys like Steve Ashby could add buckets to this string.

Main thing guys, CYA, CYA, CYA or, GET IT IN WRITING.

Mainly just get her flying and see you guys at an airshow sometime:)

This seems odd to me only because I called my agent two years ago and we added a $30K rider on my home owners insurance to cover the project. No questions, no issues, just coverage. And yes, they knew it was for the airplane under construction in my basement.

Wayne said:
Just think if my house would have burned down and then they found about the plane - I think they could have denied the claim.

Wayne
C-GOYA
RV 7a

Here in the U.S. the claim likely would be denied.
Every standard issue homeowners policy that I have seen ( I have had a few) has an exclusion for aircraft, or aircraft components. If you want coverage for an RV project, 99% of the time you need to obtain a rider for it to be covered.

tomcostanza said:
The claim for the plane, or the claim for the house?
I meant a claim for the plane as part of the loss. The main reason I posted was so that others would consider the fact that there project most likely is not covered in any way by there home owners insurance.

I didn't even consider that he meant the claim for the loss of the house may have been denied just because the airplane project was there, but after rereading it I see that is probably what he meant.
I can't imagine they could get away with that, particularly if it could not be proven that the airplane in some way caused the loss to occure.

I called my insurance agent today and after telling her "yes I will actually fly IN it (some day)" was told there was no chance in HE#L they would cover the plane, which is what I pretty much already knew. She called ALL of their underwriters and the answer was the same. If it was a radio controlled it would be covered. I didn't think about it at the time but I should have told her I made a mistake and its actually a Predator Drone and would that be FULLY covered or do I need some kind of rider.

She told me to go find an airplane insurer. I think Dan's site has one listed that I will be calling. She said nothing about it exempting my house or other contents, which would be stupid anyway. My main floor washer and my lawnmower gas in a plastic can is way more POTENTIALLY hazardous to my house or occupants.

rvbuilder2002 said:
I didn't even consider that he meant the claim for the loss of the house may have been denied just because the airplane project was there, but after rereading it I see that is probably what he meant.
I can't imagine they could get away with that, particularly if it could not be proven that the airplane in some way caused the loss to occure.
The exclusions written into a HO policy are generally intended to exclude coverage on aircraft or related parts, not coverage on the house because there is an airplane in the garage. As mentioned, some companies will allow you to schedule (specifically insure) the aircraft/kit as a part of your HO policy at an additional cost. For those that don't, consider seperate coverage.

On a side note, I have a builder's policy with USAIG through USAA (as the agent), but I just got a letter saying all USAA serviced policies will now be serviced by the Falcon Agency.

One more thing... your agent works for you, not the insurance company. If your agent is unresponsive or can't get something done for you, consider a new agent. Just my $.02.