Bryan Wood

Well Known Member
A quick search brought no results for Artic Air so here goes. There is a thread on the AOPA forums about building a clone of the artic air including a parts list and suppliers. Total cost is around $150, but could be done cheaper if one was to shop around. It looks like the folks building these are having a few teething pains, but the idea has me intrigued.

Has anybody out there flown with an Artic Air unit in their RV? How about a clone homebuilt unit? On the AOPA thread one person claimed to use his in his Comanche by turning it on in his hanger and cooling down the plane nicely, or out on the ramp in the sun he said it will keep the plane cool enough that after preflighting he won't sweat when he climbs in. There is talk of Lances and the like being cooled by these small ice chest cooler thingamajigs so an RV seems like the easiest job one could ever be used for.

Here is a link to the thread. What do you think, is it worth trying?
http://forums.aopa.org/showthread.php?t=26714

Blue Skies,

it's easy

Get two Tranmission oil coolers... a tupperware container to put the lower one in and some tubing and a sump pump and a bad to the bone computer fan.... plus a 12v cord... I'm making some as we speak... Dont forget the cooler...
Best
Brian

brianwallis said:
Get two Tranmission oil coolers... a tupperware container to put the lower one in and some tubing and a sump pump and a bad to the bone computer fan.... plus a 12v cord... I'm making some as we speak... Dont forget the cooler...
Best
Brian
I would be interested in seeing pictures and descriptions on your build if you are putting together one of these.

Google "homemade air conditioner" or "homebrew liquid cooling". You'll find tons of ideas that may give you inspiration.